It’s Hip to Be (On The) Square

By the time most college students have been of-age for a few months, they can name almost all the bars in town where you can get a beer for less than $2.

Let’s face it — that’s a lot of bars. There are specials on rail drinks and beer lining the streets near campus every night of the week. But what about those nights when you want to chill out with a martini or other tasty mixed beverage and maybe smoke a cigar or two?

Luckily, the bars around Capitol Square offer plenty in the way of relaxed environments, classy drinks and the occasional expensive cigar. From happy hour to bartime, you can “class it up” a bit yourself at prices even college students can afford.

A good place to start out any night of the week is happy hour at Genna’s, located just off the Square. In warmer months, grab a seat outside and wait for a server. In colder weather, venture in to check out the gorgeous, romantically lit décor and find a seat on one of the lounge’s two levels. Happy hour features not only half-priced rail drinks and great deals on a few types of tasty beer each day, but also an array of free food — expect to find chips and salsa, fruit and assorted raw veggies for your enjoyment.

Even if the free snack, cheap drinks and cool atmosphere don’t do it for you, the serving staff certainly will. On a recent Monday night I was served within five minutes of sitting down at a table with my group of about 10 people, and the rum and Coke I ordered was strong enough to start up a decent 5 o’clock buzz, chilled and just plain good.

Next on the agenda is dinner — after all, those appetizers were meant just to whet your appetite. Although Capitol-area restaurants are notorious for their expensive menus, not all is lost. It’s just a hop, skip and a jump to the top of State Street, where Peacemeal Vegetarian Restaurant awaits the adventurous eater with a variety of hearty meat-free fare. Don’t be afraid of the seemingly strange options — the chickpea loaf is better than your mom’s meatloaf, and the mashed potatoes are to die for.

After dinner, head back to the Square to chill out some more. The Kimia Lounge is a decent choice if you’re looking to knock back a few and listen to some laid-back live music. There’s a different drink special every night, but the staff likes to change it up quite a bit — some nights you may be lucky enough, as I was earlier this summer, to stumble across a $5 chocolate martini, but most nights $2 Captain and Coke is more likely. If you’re looking for something with a little more kick, sample one of the terrific $8 martinis.

Just around the Capitol lie two more lounge-style establishments that are sure to please even the snobbiest of drinkers. Maduro and the Casbah are next door to each other, and both have high-quality liquor at incredibly reasonable prices.

At Maduro, a cigar bar with nightly musical acts ranging from vocalists to DJs, all specialty martinis are priced at $6. A few notables include the CrabApple Fizz, a combination of apple liquor and sparkling wine, as well as one of the best mojitos in town, with generous amounts of fresh-mashed lime and mint topped off with some good-quality rum. The mojito is one of the most refreshing, unique-tasting drinks you can get.

Also recommended at Maduro is its wide selection of tap beer. There are several terrific stouts, all priced at just $4 a pint and all better than Guinness ($5 a pint). Patrons can also enjoy some good cigars while reclining on the über-comfy leather couches. The cigars range in price from $6 to unaffordable, so there’s something for every tobacco lover.

To end the night, pop over to the Casbah for some Godiva chocolate liquor ($5 for about 4 ounces) to sip on. The drink, along with the Middle Eastern theme- large, short tables and relaxing trance music in the speakers-will send you home on a high note.

Strong drinks at incredibly reasonable prices, chill atmospheres with comfortable seating, and an environment quiet enough to carry on a conversation in are just a few of the things Capitol-area bars have to offer. If you’re looking for a night away from the craziness of State Street, take a short walk and enter a different world.