Lava Lounge offers a warm remedy to winter’s chills

In the face of a biting 10-degrees-below-zero wind-chill, we’ll try almost anything to warm our spirits, including delusion.

“This is like a walk on a hot beach,” we might say to ourselves as we trudge along and try to ignore the elements. But, unfortunately, these thoughts often prove to be ineffective, especially if we’ve already lost the feeling in the tips of our fingers and long stretches of sand are nowhere to be found.

So we search for simple diversions to take our mind off of the weather. One appealing alternative is a tropical pick-me-up. Since most of us can’t bear the wait until the ice thaws, we are blessed everyday with the warm weather vibe and good drinks at the Lava Lounge, located just off University Avenue and Gilman Street.

Antifreeze is available in the form of Lava Lounge’s “Tiki Drinks,” which are listed on a menu near the entryway. One of the most popular drinks is ironically called the Blue Snow Cone and is made with blue raspberry vodka, lemonade, and sour. Another favorite is the Chocolate Covered Banana, made with créme de cacao, banana liqueur, and Bailey’s.

Priced at $5.00, these drinks can be an adventure. While one might not know the exact ingredients of a Hard Core or a Blue Lagoon, it can be fun to roll the dice and try something new.

Served in Tiki glasses, these drinks simply feel at home in the Lava Lounge. Straw skirting hangs above the bar, there is wood and bamboo paneling everywhere, and the tables feature pictures of surfers and bikini girls. The island-themed murals painted by one of the tattoo artists from the studio in the same building really add to the mood.

If you look around, you’ll find authentic Tiki masks from Bali staring at your every move. We wouldn’t want to make the island gods angry, now would we?

Lava Lounge’s customers are very much at ease with the surroundings, which is somewhat of a surprise given the bar’s edgy reputation.

Its hard-core image is due to two factors. First, there is the issue of the tattoo and piercing parlor upstairs, which intimidates some and happens to be under the same ownership as the bar. Second, the bar’s concept and Tiki-theme is credited to Rob Zombie’s bassist, a true rocker in every sense of the word.

There is nothing to fear, however, and the crowd tends towards the eclectic. The bar’s appeal is universal, explains manager Andy Schilling. “One night we’ll have some punks and head-bangers, and then we’ll have some of the fraternity and sorority types,” he explains.

The bar also appeals to the sensible drinker. Featuring some of the best specials in town, it is hard to go wrong at the Lava Lounge. For example, bottles of Heineken and Amstel are $2 every day. Tiki drinks, Long Islands, and Canadian Long Islands are the rage on Tuesday nights, priced at $4. TNT Thursday offers $2.75 Tanqueray and Tonics, along with $1.50 Pabst Blue Ribbon bottles.

Usually priced at $2.25, PBR happens to be very popular at the Lava Lounge. “It outsells Heineken and Amstel,” Schilling says.

More sophisticated tastes might opt for the Lake Louie Scotch Ale. The Lava Lounge is one of the few bars in town to offer this well-crafted microbrew from nearby Arena, Wis. Stop by and try a pint yourself for $3.35.

The Lava Lounge is perhaps one of the campus area’s most underrated bars. Although a far cry from a trip to the beach, the drinks are good, and the service is right — a perfect combination to sooth your frigid soul.

Bartime will explore the atmosphere at Spices Kitchen at its “Break the Ice” party, tonight, Friday, January 31, at 10 p.m. Spices is located at 117 State St. Cheers!