Football: Wideouts performance good, but could improve Chryst says

After breakout game, signs of Wisconsin receiving game emerge
Jason Chan

While there were concerns in the passing game heading into fall camp, Wisconsin head coach Paul Chryst never wavered from his commitment to a balanced offensive attack.

He was rewarded Saturday, as No. 9 Wisconsin (2-0 overall) routed Akron (1-1 overall) 54-10 at Camp Randall.

With a large void left by the graduation of Alex Ericsson — who led the team with 77 receptions last year — the Badgers saw a new pair of wideouts fill the gap against the Zips. A disappointing two-catch game against Louisiana State University left much to be desired from junior Jazz Peavy, but against Akron, the redshirt sophomore reeled in two touchdowns and 100 yards through the air. Senior Rob Wheelwright reeled in four catches for 99 yards.

“We have a lot of work to do to be where we want to be and where we should be,” Chryst said Monday at his weekly press conference. “I thought Jazz did some really good things, as did Rob.”

While Peavy and Wheelwright combined for more than half of the Badgers receptions, a pair of freshmen also found themselves in the mix. A.J. Taylor and Quintez Cephus have seen significant snaps in the first two weeks of the season and contributed a combined three catches for 49 yards Saturday.

“Both [freshmen] played in week one and got more snaps in week two,” Chryst said. “I think they’re coming along. We have to keep helping them get better but I like what both A.J. and Quintez bring to our offense.”

The non-conference finale against Georgia State (0-2) will provide one more test for the wideouts and the passing game before Big Ten play.

“I feel good with how [the wideouts] are approaching it, but I really do think we have a lot of work to do to be better in the passing game,” Chryst said.