Cooking no culinary conundrum

Having skills in the kitchen can be a great asset: Cooking for others is a great way to show love and appreciation, boost self-confidence and even show off a little. Friends often ask me how they can become better cooks. Read on for 10 simple tips and tricks that are sure to help even the worst cook pull off a great next dish.

1. Read the entire recipe

This is a common mistake that many cooking novices make. Surprises in the kitchen usually have negative consequences and should be avoided. Make sure you understand what needs to be done before you even pull out your ingredients. That way you won’t be thrown for a loop halfway through cooking your dish.

2. Make sure you understand all the terminology

It is easy to get overconfident in the kitchen because many terms in cooking are familiar, even if you haven’t actually performed them: “broiled,” “baked,” “saut?ed” and “steamed” might all sound familiar, but the logistics of the methods are often a mystery. When trying out a new cooking method, do a little homework first. Simply typing “how to” and a cooking term in a search engine can come back with helpful videos to make you more comfortable in the kitchen and preparing your food easier.

3. Get the right equipment

Take heed of the type and size of pans a recipe calls for. Saucepans, kettles and saut? pans are different because they perform different functions. Using the wrong type of pan or the wrong size can significantly alter the cooking process and ultimately affect the taste of your dish.

4. Measure mindfully

Recipes list portions for a reason: Someone worked hard to make sure that all ingredients come together perfectly. When cooking a new recipe, trust the quantities that are written down. After you’ve mastered the dish once or twice is the time to experiment.

5. Assemble your ingredients BEFORE you start cooking

Every professional chef will tell you this is an essential part of cooking efficiently. Prep your ingredients beforehand and keep them at the ready. Multitasking with preparation while actually cooking increases your chances of making a mistake. Assembling your ingredients prior to cooking maximizes your attention on the dish and minimizes the time you spend cooking overall.

6. Taste as you go

Nothing is worse than sitting down to a fully cooked meal and realizing that the spicing is horribly wrong. Taste your dish as you are cooking. Flavors can change during the process, and some can become more pronounced. Tasting as you go will ensure your food is flavorful, but not overly so.

7. Don’t rush! 

Most good things take time. If a recipe says to cook low and slow, listen. Turning up the heat on the burner or in the oven will not cook your food faster. It will cook it differently – and most likely not in the way you intended.

8. Read the tips

Many recipes offer helpful tips and tricks towards the end. Adhering to these can be essential in avoiding mistakes or helping you understand the most complicated steps. Save yourself the work and read them!

9. Pretty Presentation

Food always looks more appetizing when it is well presented. Take the extra two to three minutes before you eat to make everything look neat on the plate. Good presentation really takes a dish from just another meal to something special.

10. If at first you don’t succeed, try again! 

Everyone makes mistakes in the kitchen – even professional chefs. Cooking is a skill like any other and requires practice. So don’t be discouraged if something doesn’t turn out because the more you cook, the better you’ll become.

This week’s recipe is one of the first dishes I learned to cook. It is a creamy Italian gelatin dessert. This is the classic version, but its flavor can be altered to almost any variety, similar to ice cream. It is easy to prepare but, when presented correctly, it can be very elegant and impressive!

Mom’s Panna Cotta

Serves 6

1 package unflavored gelatin

2 cups whipping cream

6 tablespoons of sugar

1 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

1. Put 1/2 cup whipping cream in small bowl. Add gelatin and let stand 10 minutes to soften.
  2. Place remaining 1 1/2 cup whipping cream in medium saucepan.
  3. Add sugar and bring to a boil.
  4. Once boiling, remove from heat and add softened gelatin mixture. Whisk 2 minutes until well-mixed.
  5. Add buttermilk, vanilla and almond extract.
  6. Whisk to blend. Pour in serving glasses and chill until firm (at least 3 to 4 hours).
  7. Garnish with fruit, whipped cream or drizzle with ice cream topping.

Tips:

-Straining the mixture through a sieve before pouring into serving glasses will make the finished dessert extra silky.

-This dish can also be served in a decorative mold like a shaped cake pan. Be sure to spray the pan with cooking spray first so the panna cotta comes out smoothly.

-I like to serve this dish in martini glasses to make it look extra fancy.