Hugely entertaining ‘Thor’ sequel fuses humor, action

Thor has bolted back into theaters. That’s right, the well-chiseled, hammer-slamming god of thunder is back and ready to protect earth once again in Marvel’s newest film adaptation based on the popular comic.

Compared to previous Marvel superhero films, “Thor: The Dark World” has a slightly different twist. Of course, it contains the predictable elements that every superhero trilogy does: A past problem caused by a villain needs to be resolved, the leading female needs to be rescued by the hero and said hero arrives to save the world from mass destruction and chaos.

However, the sequel is much richer and unpredictable than the first Thor film. “The Dark World” contains many plot elements that quickly develop a storyline. Plot twists and surprises present themselves throughout the entire movie. All of these factors make for a suspenseful two-hour span and create an itching anticipation for what happens next.

Chris Hemsworth (“Rush”) gives a tremendous performance as the hero Thor. His serious-yet-compassionate attitude and striking resemblance to the comic book character are perfect for the role. These two components, along with his accent, provide a fullness to his portrayal.

His love interest, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman, “Thor”), is anything but a helpless damsel. Though her character experiences drastic conflicts, Portman plays Jane as a strong, intelligent, levelheaded female figure with the charisma and determination to help Thor and the Asgardians in any way that she can.

Loki (Tom Hiddleston, “Only Lovers Left Alive”) is hands down the best character in the movie. He is the type of villain that superhero fans love and hate simultaneously. His performance leaves the audience in a constant state of questioning whether or not he can be trusted. He adds substance to the film as a great villain and provides a large amount of comic relief.

The vast amount of epic combat scenes interspersed with humor makes for constant laughs during even the most suspenseful moments. This factor also separates “Thor: The Dark World” from other Marvel films. While other adaptions contain little sparks of comedic indulgence, “Thor: The Dark World” adds these moments at the most unexpected and occasionally inappropriate times. The perpetual irony makes some jokes funnier than they would be if used in a different context. Loki and Darcy (Kat Dennings, “Day One”) provide the most wit, supplying the audience with hilarious side comments that give the film a tragicomic air since war scenes or murderous battles surround them as they crack jokes.

Each fight scene is also well choreographed, amplifying the mystical techniques and gadgets used by the armies of Thor’s mythical world. During these battles, gallant music is incorporated, heightening the audience’s eagerness for the outcome. Even though the music is nothing original, it does the trick of increasing suspense and tension.

Although an attentive audience member will be easily driven by the plot, it might be helpful for a viewer to watch the first “Thor” or even “The Avengers” in order to get a general sense of the premise of this sequel.

“Thor: The Dark World” is a phenomenal film for people of all ages who enjoy action or superhero films. It’s the type of movie that forces its viewer to hang on tight, leaving a feeling of “I can’t believe that just happened!”