‘Host’ invades audiences’ hearts

ARTS_host
Saoirse Ronan plays Melanie, a human captured and made host to a body-snatching alien named Wanderer. A love square between three actors soon commences.[/media-credit]

Nothing sounds worse and more repetitive than yet another movie about aliens conquering the planet and humans having to hide out and live in fear as friendships grow and romances blossom. However, the story of “The Host,” based on the novel of the same name by Stephenie Meyer, is quite unique compared to the other movies in its genre.

“The Host” is so much more than any of the fantastical blood-sucking “Twilight” series adaptations. It is a film that ties together the aspects of both science fiction and romance, while incorporating interesting plot twists and suspenseful moments to maintain the audience’s attention.

In the film, aliens have invaded Earth and inhabited the human population, using their bodies as “hosts” in order to live on the planet and carry out a successful hostile take over. Once inside a body, the alien has complete control over the host’s thoughts and actions, and the original owner of that body no longer exists.

Very few humans remain and are constantly on the run. One of the surviving humans, Melanie Stryder (Saoirse Ronan, “Hanna”), is taken by the aliens and made a host by Wanderer, (later known as Wanda), a life form who has been living in different hosts for almost a millennium.

All is going well for Wanda in interrogation with The Seeker (Diane Kruger, “Farewell, My Queen”), racking Melanie’s brain for information on the whereabouts of the last humans, until Wanda discovers that Melanie has not gone away and is still able to communicate and speak to Wanda in her conscience. This poses a problem for The Seeker and the other aliens as Wanderer takes pity on Melanie and becomes defiant. She escapes to find Melanie’s loved ones and the rest of the humans to let them know that Melanie is still alive, even though she has become a host.

The storyline is easy to follow and has the ability to coax any romantically inclined viewer’s attention with love stories between the main characters. Melanie’s hot boyfriend Jared (Max Irons, “Red Riding Hood”) as well as Wanda’s ruggedly handsome love interest Ian (Jake Able, “I Am Number Four”) have excellent actors in their roles.

The overall acting is captivating to say the least. Moviegoers will be very impressed with Saoirse’s presentation of Melanie’s/Wanda’s split personality since she is playing two people trapped in one body for the majority of the film. Melanie’s kid brother Jamie (Chandler Canterbury, “Little Red Wagons”) gave a surprisingly above par performance as the sweet little sibling most kids can relate to in one way or another. The character of Uncle Jeb (William Hurt, “Robin Hood”) was the most entertaining actor to watch since, as Melanie and Wanda discuss, “He’s not crazy. He’s a genius.” “He’s both.” And yes, they are referring to Uncle Jeb, not Stephenie Meyer.

“The Host” is a movie that can be admired and enjoyed mostly by romantic-seeking females ranging from their preteens to their early twenties. Whether you are a single lady or a girl looking for a movie to drag your boyfriend to, this is the one. You will adore it, and, who knows, boyfriends that are forced to see this romantic science fiction film might actually enjoy it a little bit themselves.

3.5 stars out of 5