The year was 1940, and it would still be 29 years before the greatest college newspaper came to fruition.
Before The Badger Herald moved its den to 152 W. Johnson St., the block was noticeably lacking in quality journalism. A plot of family homes made the street a buzzing residential zone. On the corner, Badger Food Mart provided groceries to local Madison families.
Seventy-six years later, it’s a markedly different scene. The local hotspot for fresh produce is now home to a thriving campus newspaper, student apartments filled up the church down the street and a pancake place opened up across the street.
Take a look at what things were like before the all-consuming horde of students moved in with the pictures below: