Giving ‘good-guys’ guns a perfect solution to stop gun violence

Turning Vilas Hall into a shooting range is only way to combat concerns of concealed carry on campus

I have the same dream every night: I go to class and some crazy old guy pulls out a gun, but there’s nothing I can do to stop it because all the students are obeying the University of Wisconsin’s ban on concealed carry weapons.

Luckily, I wake from the dream, but I then realize that the day is a living nightmare. At any moment someone wanting to cause mayhem can go about it unopposed. So of course I support Sen. Jesse Kremer, R-Kewaskum, and Sen. Devin LeMahieu’s, R-Oostburg, bill to allow for concealed carry in Wisconsin’s college buildings.

Apparently, allowing college students the ability to protect themselves is something to which the liberal leaders of Madison take offense. Chancellor Rebecca Blank worries that mixing guns with alcohol leads to safety concerns. The only safety concerns I see are for the bad guys. Alcohol will only make it easier for good guys to spot the bad guys.

At the moment though, we liquored-up good guys are limited in our response against these bad guys because of the limited views that people like Blank hold; they just don’t understand the good that can come from guns in any situation.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2015/11/03/chancellor-rebecca-blank-concealed-carry-proposal-defies-common-sense/

Continuing the outrageous liberal bias, UWPD released a statement in opposition to the allowance of concealed weapons in university buildings, saying, “To us, as law enforcement professionals at UWPD, the evidence does not support the idea that our campus would be safer if concealed firearms are allowed in our buildings. Allowing concealed weapons inside a building like Camp Randall Stadium, filled with 80,000 people, creates a major security issue.” 

Ultimately, this shows that the UWPD doesn’t know the basic facts about concealed carry — clearly the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to have a good guy with a gun. In a stadium of 80,000, we need as many good guys as possible packing heat, even though they have only gone through minimal gun training, in order to stop any bad guy with a gun. 

Of course, it’ll be hard to distinguish the good guys from the bad guys, so Camp Randall officials will have to start selling “good guy” and “bad guy” badges, raising a little money and making all of us safer.

Associated Students of Madison chair Madison Laning raised a good point about the proposal, saying, “Personally, I think this would create a more unsafe campus with students who have no experience or formal training with guns on them in class.” 

While I’m sure that no good guy with a gun would ever miss their target and hit an innocent bystander, the point is well taken and I have a the perfect solution for UW: let’s turn Vilas into a shooting range.

If you haven’t been to Vilas Hall, let me enlighten you. It is a labyrinth of dark, tight hallways and solid, concrete concrete walls — perfect for a shooting range. All we would have to do is paint some targets at the end of various hallways and voilà, a shooting range.

This bill clearly protects our safety and our second amendment rights. What could be better?

Aaron Reilly ([email protected]) is a freshman majoring comparative literature and Russian.