Tickled Pink With Laughter, ‘Legally Blonde: the Musical’ Is a Crowd Pleaser

5 out of 5 stars

A rousing standing ovation for “Legally Blonde: The Musical” Tuesday night at the Overture left the audience willing to “bend and snap” for more. The 2001 Hollywood movie cannot compare to the thrill of the live show and the fluid scene and costume changes that “Legally Blonde: the Musical” had to offer. In this adaption, director and choreographer Jerry Mitchell proves that anything can be achieved through determination and hard work…even if you happen to be blonde.

The show transported the audience out of the modern backdrop of the Overture Center to a quaint little theater on Broadway, just a few short blocks from glitzy Times Square. The audience seemed to forget the world unfolding on the streets of Madison, as they became engulfed in the musical storytelling occurring that evening.

In a familiar tale, Elle Woods (Nikki Bohne) leaves her comfortable sorority life in sunny California to attend Harvard Law School, with the hopes of convincing ex-boyfriend Warner Huntington (Matthew Ragas) that they are destined for marriage. But, another eligible young man enters the fray, changing Elle’s view of the world.

Elle’s professor, Callahan, has a teaching assistant named Emmett who takes an immediate liking to Elle, inspiring her to be and do more than she ever thought possible. Conceivably for the first time in her life, someone takes her seriously. He treats her as an equal … rather than just a beautiful blonde without a drop of common sense.

Through Elle’s challenging journey toward earning her law degree, she begins to understand she has much more to offer than just stunning looks, an endearing smile and fancy clothes. Driven by her newfound self-confidence, she ditches her shallow obsessions, substituting hard work in its place. Along the way, Elle realizes she has outgrown her longing for Warner, and ultimately chooses the more motivated and mature Emmett.

After first getting to know Elle Woods through the eyes of Hollywood, this musical adds immense depth to the storyline — primarily driven by the lighthearted, entertaining music expertly woven into the script. The wide range of songs and the pitch-perfect voices of the cast echoed throughout the Overture, engaging theatergoers on a whole new level.

Catchy and reoccurring, the song “Omigod You Guys” struck a chord with much of the audience. Exiting the theater, one could hear snippets of its melody and lyrics as numerous people hummed or sang this now familiar tune. More serious songs like “Chip on My Shoulder” revealed Emmett and Elle’s more emotional sides. “Find My Way” provided insight into Elle’s more confident attitude, as she sang “I was living in ignorant bliss, til I learned I could be more than this.” The lyrics of the well-placed songs provided the backdrop to the storyline, adding both color and texture to the story.

The cast did a marvelous job of bringing this story to life, with every actor taking their role to the limit. Even Brewser, Elle’s loveable Chihuahua, wowed the crowd with adorable tricks, garnering a number of “Awwws” from the audience. From answering questions with a cutesy woof, leaping into Elle’s arms and popping his little head out of her purse, Brewser became a crowd favorite.

The brightness of the musical and the energy that filled the stage makes this show positively irresistible. The audience was seen leaning over in their seats to get the best view, staring with wide-open fascination at the stage and actors and paying strict attention to every spoken and sung word — clearly afraid to miss something important.

Although the musical followed the plot of the movie, it continually surprised the audience with its relevant and adapted script, as well as its references to modern day culture. At one point, Elle spoke about how Brewser did not mind being alone in her room, declaring, “Brewser loves watching Glee.” After Elle’s painful breakup with Warner, she indulges in a bag of fun size Milky Way chocolates, and when trying to stay awake to hit the books, Elle and Emmett gulp down some Red Bull.

This production may seem exclusively geared towards women, however, it has something to offer everyone. “Legally Blonde: the Musical” is as hot as Elle’s signature shocking pink outfits. With the show only in town through the weekend, tickets are in high demand; so don’t delay in getting yours. “Legally Blonde: The Musical” is at the Overture Center for the Arts April 5 to April 10. Student tickets are $20; general admission tickets start at $31.