Fresh ‘horrors’ await at University Theater

rockyhorror_UTHEATREPHOTO
Colorful characters like Frank N. Furter, Magenta, Riff Raff and Rocky himself comprise the cast for this season’s performance of ‘The Rocky Horror Show.'[/media-credit]

University Theater students spread the message of acceptance and self-confidence in this year’s production of “The Rocky Horror Show.”

“Accept yourself exactly the way you are, with no apologies. That’s what this show says,” director Dennis Courtney said.

“The Rocky Horror Show” emphasizes that it is okay to be different and live the life you want to live. “Don’t dream it, be it,” is the mantra of Frank N. Furter, played by UW senior Chris Tiernan. This show allows all of the actors and audience members to let go of their inhibitions for a few hours and truly become whatever they want to be in the moment.

“The Rocky Horror Show” is an edgy, slightly insane story about Brad and Janet, a couple who stumbles upon the mansion of Frank N. Furter, a very interesting transvestite who insists that the two spend the night. It is an important night at the mansion as Frank reveals his creation – Rocky, a very muscular man with blond hair and a tan.

Madness ensues as Brad and Janet discover emotions and desires they never knew they possessed. The night is filled with confusion as Magenta, Riff Raff, Rocky and other eccentric characters mess with the minds of Brad and Janet and also the mind of every person in the audience.

“‘The Rocky Horror Show’ is different than any other show I’ve ever heard of,” Eva Nimmer, a sophomore who plays Janet in the production, said.

Nimmer said the show is very similar to the movie in many ways, although the live performance has the potential for a lot more energy. Seeing the actors and actresses belt out the songs live seems more tangible than watching them on a movie screen. This show will appeal both to people that have already seen the movie and people that have not.

For those that are already avid fans, this production will provide a chance to interact with their favorite characters and see the show on which the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” movie was based. For those that have not seen the movie, seeing the show is a completely eye-opening experience.

The cast of “The Rocky Horror Show” has proven to be very talented, and the excitement and energy onstage is contagious. The costumes are flamboyant and fun; every costume change is exciting as the audience is left wondering what it will see next.

When the music begins, the audience will feel as though it is the start of a rock concert. The vocals are especially phenomenal, and when the entire cast gets onstage its power makes each audience member want to jump out of his or her seat and sing along.

Seeing this show should be on the “to do” list for every college student. It’s fun, fast-paced and interactive. The audience can dress up, dance in the aisles and respond to the actors onstage. The music is fantastic and includes favorites such as, “Time Warp,” “Sweet Transvestite,” “Dammit Janet” and “Touch-A Touch-A Touch Me.” It is a show unlike any other, and the University Theater cast members have made “The Rocky Horror Show” into a production truly their own.

The show is March 3, 4 and 5 at 7:30 p.m. and also March 4 and 5 at midnight. Tickets can be bought online at utmadison.com or at the Union theater box office located at the Memorial Union on Park Street. Ticket prices range from $15.50 to $25.50 for the 7:30 shows; student tickets for the midnight shows are $10.