‘Sunday on the Rocks’ celebrates complex women in realistic situations

Intermission Theatre’s latest production, written by Therese Rebeck, seeks to candidly discuss controversial issues
Photo courtesy of Shannon Heibler
“Sunday on the Rocks”

This weekend, the University of Wisconsin’s Intermission Theatre will bring new meaning to the phrase “on the rocks.”

“Sunday on the Rocks” by Theresa Rebeck is about four women who live together and discuss their problems as they struggle through life in the ’90s. Rebeck, one of Newsweek’s 150 Fearless Women in 2011, focuses the show on the relatable struggles that each of these women face.

As the play reaches high and low points, the characters Gale (Kenzie Luce), Jen (Kat Bunke), Elly (Hannah Ripp-Dieter) and Jessica (Katie Norman) dig into a conversation about their problems on this particular day. Elly contemplates getting an abortion, Jen is stalked by a co-worker, Gale is uncertain about who she is and Jessica, a very religious woman, finds it difficult to understand some of her roommates and their opinions.

This particular production in particular of “Sunday on the Rocks” possesses a unique characteristic; the entire cast and crew are made up of women.

Although an all female-run production seems appropriate for the play, it was actually accidental. According to director Chelsea Anderson, this has been a unique yet satisfying experience for her. She has enjoyed the ambiance of every rehearsal with the cast, as well as the bond they have formed as a group.

“[The cast] clicked right away, even though they didn’t know each other at the time,” Anderson said. “It’s a good room to be in, and that’s what every director wants, and I think that they found that [connection] instantly.”

The cast members have enjoyed their previous performances in a variety of other shows, but there is something special for them about working in a room of all women. There is a level of coziness and reliability that they share amongst each other, stemming from that female bond.

This is something that actress Kenzie Luce (Gale) referred to as a “fast-forwarded family membership,” manifesting in a sisterhood she had never experienced before. The cast shared common, often intimate experiences, despite the differing storylines, Luce said.

This level of comfort that the cast and crew share holds a high-level of importance when dealing with a production such as this. Throughout the show, many controversial issues are addressed. Actress Kat Bunke (Jen) said being surrounded by women while rehearsing and discussing these issues made her feel more open and at ease.

“I think we’re all a lot more comfortable talking about the issues that this show deals with, and I think every woman has [these] kinds of stories or experiences they can relate to,” Bunke said. “So being among all women while being a part of this show makes it a comfortable atmosphere to talk about that.”

According to Luce and Bunke, “Sunday on the Rocks” gives women the opportunity to stray away from the stereotypes that they are normally cast as. No character in the production fits one specific mold, which makes the show appear more like a real-life situation.

The women embrace and then break their stereotypes, Luce said. The play provides more depth of character than many actresses are used to.

Although the play consists only of women, that does not mean that men should not attend the production. Everyone, man or woman, can find something captivating in this production.

“There are life lessons in it,” Anderson said. “Men can just as easily attach and relate to this idea of ‘How do I fit into the world?,’ ‘What is my identity?,’ ‘How would I deal with these decisions?’ Just because it’s women on the stage talking doesn’t mean only women have to listen.”

Above all, the imperfections of the characters are what make them likable and enjoyable to watch. It would not be interesting to see a production about a four women with perfect lives. The disasters and troubles make the characters real and captivating.

“These women’s lives are so messy and tangled, and you get to watch [that] unfold, but at the same time there’s something really beautiful about that,” Luce said.

The imperfections of beauty are what will captivate theatergoers this weekend.

“Sunday on the Rocks” runs this weekend at the Bartell Theatre on Mifflin Street near the Capitol. Shows are Thursday through Saturday at 7:30 p.m., with a matinee performance Saturday at 2 p.m.