Cheers, Madison: Wet your whistle at some non-traditional watering holes

“You know what would make this place better? A bar.” -Anonymous

Summer is rapidly approaching, and with it comes the opportunity to enjoy Madison’s warmer climes. UW students hardly need a reason to imbibe, but warmer weather and more free time especially permit for adventuring beyond the trappings of your buddy’s basement or the KK’s, uh, basement.

So take advantage of the nicer weather to expand your horizons to some of Madison’s attractions where you might not expect beer to be served. Here are three locales, one of them familiar and two not so much, that are worth stopping at over the coming months.

Caff? 608 at Sundance Madison Cinemas 

Though Madison lacks a major downtown cinema, any city would happily forego the behemoth sodas and butter flavoring of questionable origin and nutritional value for what Sundance 608 brings to the table. The semi-independent theater (Sundance also has a location in San Francisco, putting Madison in very good company indeed) has a constant rotation of excellent indie films as well as critically acclaimed big-budget productions from the major studios. Tickets won’t run you more than $10, and they’re not above putting popcorn and bratwurst on the menu.

For the uninitiated, Sundance-goers are requested to reserve their own seats and may bring alcoholic libations into the theater after purchasing them at the concession stand’s minibar. Just don’t confuse that with the Poland Spring bottle full of vodka that you crotched in to your local megaplex in order to properly enjoy “Snakes on a Plane.” Simple mixed drinks like whiskey-cokes or vodka-tonics can be had for the price of $6.35. Not exactly a Nitty Gritty price, but this is a movie theater. For grown-ups.

If you’re into post-movie shmoozing, Sundance also has the added benefit of the Rooftop Bar & Bistro, now open for the summer. It’s an ideal location for washing down the latest Woody Allen with a glass of wine or shooting down your buddy’s mumblecore pretensions. Still waiting for them to add White Russians to the menu, however.

George Vitense Golfland 

Anyone who has spent serious time on a golf course knows that it’s only a matter of time before your game breaks down and a couple cold foamers are required to get things back on track. An Arnold Palmer isn’t a real Arnold Palmer unless the lemonade and iced tea are backed up with some of the hard stuff.

You’re going to have to provide the liquor yourself, but at George Vitense Golfland it’s not uncommon to find practicing golfers working on an adult soda or two, if not their short game. Highly recommended is the Green Tree Grill’s B3 Special, which nets you a large range bucket, a brat and a beer for the decidedly under-par price of $12.

Anxious golfers who arrive in time for happy hour – 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. – can get their mitts on $2.50 taps and $8 Capital Brewery pitchers. Not a bad way to start off a practice session at the range, or for the competitively inclined, a grueling 18 holes on one of their three miniature golf tracks, which one can only assume rival Augusta National on the Stimpmeter.

Memorial Union Rathskeller and Terrace 

An obvious pick for UW students, yes; a similar option for students at just about any other university, no. On its face, the Rathskeller is little more than a school cafeteria with all the classic fare you’d expect to find at any university: burgers, sandwiches and an underwhelming salad bar. But throw in a hefty collection of beer steins and various other allusions to Wisconsin’s German heritage, and you’re well on your way out of lunchlady-land.

Perhaps UW students take for granted the Rath’s impressive selection of seasonal taps, not to mention the joys of Terrace daydrinking when the weather permits. Where else can you knock a few back, throw some bags around and shoot the breeze on all things Bucky with Biddy Martin? It’s also worth noting that Madison’s biggest bar (yes it’s true – none of the hundreds of Madison watering holes can match the capacity of the Rath and the Terrace) just happens to be university owned.

Prices might be high and specials nonexistent, but the Rath’s beer menu is something to be treasured: Microbrewery staples from Ale Asylum and New Belgium complement proven winners like Strongbow and Optimator.

It might appear paradoxical that UW’s cafeteria serves beer, yet our famed sporting venues Camp Randall and the Kohl Center do not. The debate that whether or not serving alcohol during games will lead to greater student attendance rages on. But until that’s resolved, students ought to take comfort in the fact that they can study for exams (or not study for exams) with the help of some university-sanctioned, Wisconsin-brewed goods. And more than likely you won’t wind up on the business end of an “Asshole!” chant.