Madison gets ‘funk’y for a good cause

For some, getting engaged can be one of life’s most joyful memories. But Al and Kate Falaschi were suddenly brought back to reality a week after their engagement when Kate was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. Taking a break from chemo therapy to get married may not be part of everyone’s fantasy wedding, but Al and Catherine were fueled by hope and determined to do everything they could.

Kate passed away three years later at the age of 32, but her memory is still reaching out to others in the global fight against cancer. Kate told her loved ones that if she lost her battle with cancer they should throw her a giant party, which brought Funk Out Cancer to Madison. The first Funk Out Cancer benefit last year was such a success that Widen Enterprise decided to sponsor another one for this Saturday.

Soulive, Phat Phunktion and Mama Digdown’s Brass Band are the three musical acts that will be playing at this benefit concert. All proceeds will be given to the Carbone Cancer Center at the University of Wisconsin to help scientists research a cure for cancer. With the Carbone Cancer Center only a couple blocks from their back door, the Falaschis felt a sense of comfort from the center’s support. New research findings during Kate’s battle fueled the Falaschis hope, ultimately prompting Al to choose the center as the recipient of the benefit’s proceeds.

Rather than mourning the loss of Kate, Funk Out Cancer is meant to be a celebration of her life. Al originally wanted the event to be a small affair for family and friends, but knew Kate would want something bigger, something that could benefit everyone. So, though many of Kate’s friends and relatives will be attending the event, anyone is welcome and encouraged to join in on the celebration.

“I was shocked at the number of people who didn’t know her. It shows how many people are affected by cancer,” Kate’s husband, Al Falaschi, said about last year’s benefit. “Kate was such a doer. If somebody needed help, she would get up and help them. She loved kids. She loved her job. She was just a cool chick.”

Al is not only coordinating the Funk Out Cancer event in Kate’s memory, but he’s also a member of Phat Phunktion, one of the bands performing Saturday night. Rocking the saxophone since his late elementary school years, Al will bring in some of his own funk in celebration of Kate.

“We put a new twist on ’70s funk bands… kind of like Earth, Wind and Fire,” describes Falaschi, who is also a longtime fan of Soulive, a jazz group that constantly refashions their sound to incorporate different genres outside their own.

“If you know who Soulive is, you will be there,” Al said. “If you don’t know who they are, you will want to be there, because you’ll love them.”

Soulive has played in benefit concerts before and have helped raise money for Habitat for Humanity, Red Cross and hurricane Katrina victims, to name only a few.

“When we hear a gig is for a good cause we get excited,” Soulive guitarist, Eric Krasno said.

Funk Out Cancer hopes to celebrate Kate’s life, raise money for continuing research and create more awareness about cancer, one of the core components of the event for Al.

“We really wanted to raise money for cancer research, which requires people to raise awareness,” Al said.

Funk Out Cancer will take place at the Orpheum Nov. 20. Tickets are $30. All proceeds will go to funding cancer research at the UW Carbone Cancer Center.

Correction: Due to an editing error, the original copy of this article, “Madison gets ‘funk’y for a good cause” misspelled the name of the band, Phat Phunktion. The original copy said, “Phat Phunction.” We regret the error.