Madison venues to convert to art galleries to display local artists’ work for Gallery Night

MMoCA’s bi-annual event brings thousands of people from surrounding cities to Madison

On Oct. 6, Madison will bloom with creativity as local venues convert into galleries to showcase the work of artists for MMoCA’s bi-annual Gallery Night.

Gallery Night occurs in May and October and benefits both the community and the artists involved. Over 50 venues will participate, and they get to choose which artist’s work they choose to display. It event distinguishes itself from other art events by offering live music, artists demonstrations and opportunities to speak with the artists. By holding this event, MMoCA accomplishes its goal of spreading art.

“MMoCA’s mission is to connect people with the transformative power of art,” Erika Monroe-Kane said, MMoCA’s director of communication. “Gallery Night is a fun, free and important way to do this.”

NAMI Wisconsin continues tradition of providing space for artists with mental illnesses through annual Healing Art Show

Gallery Night brings people together to celebrate and appreciate art — and not just residents of Madison. Residents from surrounding cities are attracted to Madison’s vibrant art scene because of events like Gallery Night, Monroe-Kane said.

Since Gallery Night takes place all over the city, participants are given the chance to explore a neighborhood or store they may have never been to before. The vastness of the event means that businesses all over pull in a lot of revenue. Gallery Night benefits the general public, artist and the economy.

All of this has been happening since 1988, where a few modest participants held a small-scale version of the event. Now, MMoCA staff work with the venues, ensuring they plan properly and iron-out details, Monroe-Kane said. With the thousands of participants arriving to Gallery Night 29 years since its creation, extra planning is required.

“Most venues increase their staff the evening of Gallery Night, they have larger crowds and greater sales,” Monroe-Kane said.

People should try to go to as many venues as possible, as each one has something unique to offer. That goes for the business in general and the type of art displayed. Types of displays will include photography, sculptures, mixed media, performance art and video.

Some of the participating downtown locations are 100 State St., Artist and Craftsman Supply and Barriques Coffee Trader, Monroe-Kane said. Moving west, places such as the Allen Centennial Garden, Higher Fire and HotelRED will be participating. Eastbound, people can explore Access Wisconsin, Art In and the Goodman Community Center.

Participants will also get to see the unveiling of Alumni Park. At 6 p.m., people will be allowed into the park for more artwork displays and artist talks. The park will hold these events until 9 p.m.

Following the sure-to-be exhausting day, participants are invited to a Gallery Night after party in MMoCA’s lobby. The party is free to members and $5 for the general public.

From 9-11 p.m., attendees can make art, enjoy drinks from a cash bar, have pizza from the Roman Candle Pizzeria and dance to the music of DJ Boyfrrriend, according to Erika-Kane.

With the seemingly endless activity list, participants are encouraged to use the venue list and map available on the MMoCA website.

This is not an event that an art lover should miss. Those who aren’t into the art scene in Madison should also attend — they might just discover something that they love, and feel good while doing it.

“MMoCA contributes to the quality of life in Madison,” Monroe-Kane said. “People are attracted to places that are dynamic and creative. The arts play a critical role in this.”