Get Baked: Don’t put bacon in pie

Top-secret family crust recipe revealed

If you are a musical lover like me, then I highly suggest listening to Waitress. If you are a baker like me, then never try to make the deep-dish blueberry bacon pie referenced in the second song.

Yes, that’s right. I put bacon in a blueberry pie.

I wanted to test out if the songwriter, Sara Bareilles, (you might know her from the middle school throwback “Love Song”) was legit with this pie.

Get Baked: This tropical carrot cake will cure any winter blues

She lied to me. Blueberry pie was not meant to be contaminated with bacon. Don’t get me wrong — the pie wasn’t awful. It was fairly good, almost like blueberry pancakes and bacon in the same bite.

If you want to try bacon in a pie, feel free. But instead, I’m going to focus on a much easier and delicious blueberry pie filling that will impress much more than any blueberry bacon pie could.

Get Baked: Make this Tinder profile-worthy banana bread

I am going to fill you all in on my family’s top-secret pie crust recipe. It has been passed down for generations. You’re going to want to pick up “Pillsbury Pie Crust.”

Honestly, if you want to make your own crust, feel free, but it takes so much longer. The best part of a pie is the filling, so take more time making that.

Use your fingers to make the pie crust edges wavy. For each wave, use the exact same finger to keep each wave a consistent size.

Maija Inveiss/The Badger Herald

Get out a medium saucepan and dump in all the blueberries and water. Continue mixing until all the blueberries are thawed.

Once this is done, add in the sugar, making sure all grains are completely dissolved.

Maija Inveiss/The Badger Herald

Mix in the flour, salt and vanilla until the mixture comes to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and let the mixture simmer for five minutes or until it becomes thick.

While it’s on the stove, make sure to continuously mix or the bottom can burn.

Pour out the filling in a bowl, placing it in the fridge to let it cool. Personally, I put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes because it goes a lot faster.

Maija Inveiss/The Badger Herald

Pour the filling into the pie crust, trying not to go beyond the crust.

Now for the fun part — making the lattice crust. Take the second crust and cut it into small strips. Add strips starting with the middle of the pie and alternating between vertical and horizontal strips.

Cut all the extra pieces that go beyond the pie and press the corners into the bottom crust edges.

Maija Inveiss/The Badger Herald

Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 325 F and bake for an additional 30 minutes.

The crust should be a golden brown color.

Maija Inveiss/The Badger Herald

Even though the bacon did not work with this pie, the filling is still really good. The lattice crust looks so impressive even though it does not take that long to make!

Maija Inveiss/The Badger Herald