Newest exhibit combines art, infatuation

Works displayed from now until February 6
Elaine Knaus

Using vibrant colors and various media elements, Mark Nelson, Elk Norsman and Kramo bring the concept of infatuation into the world of art.

They do this through exploring the function of shrines for the unity of common interests, as well as portraying the mental processes that play a role in the creation of them.

Conversation starter: WUD Art on history, vision, purpose

Shrines: Power, Desire, Fetish, Obsession demonstrates the common fascination among humans with certain people, ideas and objects. At first glance, the striking patterns and bold colors of the works draw the eye of the viewer. With more analysis, the works of art place people and objects on a pedestal to be admired and adored, and make references providing an in-depth look into the nature of humanity.

Elaine Knaus/The Badger Herald

The exhibit focuses on power, desire, fetish and obsession, and how shrines are the epitome of these entities. The essence of a shrine is glorifying something that may seem mundane in passing. An undeniable sense of power comes from elevating these concrete elements to a status above all that is mortal.

The underlying theme of obsession and desire is manifested through the repetition of images and objects. This is shown especially in the piece titled “Lani, Kai, Bert and Roy,” that portrays a pattern of several people in the same pose.

Elaine Knaus/The Badger Herald

The media that the artists chose to use set the display apart from others. More specifically, they show how materials that are seen, touched and felt in everyday life, such as spray paint, wood and fabric, can transform themselves into powerful works of art that captivate the viewer and glorify the subject.

Elaine Knaus/The Badger Herald

This compelling display of work, by talented and intellectual artists, is on display in gallery 1308 of Union South from now until Feb. 6.