On new album, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros evolve but stay true to classic sound

‘PersonA’ cements band’s status within the music industry, but isn’t strongest effort overall
Courtesy of Rough Trade Records

From the look of the artwork for their new album, PersonA, it is clear Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros are entering a new era.

Edward Shape and the Magnetic Zeros released their fifth studio album Friday. While it is not the band’s strongest album, they succeeded in firmly establishing their place in today’s music industry. 

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros came to fame in 2009 with the release of their hit single “Home.” The song reached audiences from all backgrounds, and proved an indie folk band could become a national sensation.

The record’s first single, “No Love Like Yours,” is a classic hit from the band. With its feel-good vibes, it transports the listener to their place of comfort. Lead singer Alex Elbert has the ability to remind the listener that though the band’s image may be changing, their sound is still one fans know and love.

Whether it be the departure of a former beloved lead singer, Jade Castrinos, or the birth of Elbert’s daughter, the band has clearly changed since then. Tracks such as “Let it Down” and “Perfect Time” showcase a different, more sensitive side rarely heard from the band.

“Wake Up the Sun” is also more reflective of the changes the band members have experienced. The song is more solemn than what Edward Sharpe fans are used to. It begins with slow vocals by Elbert, with thoughtful lyrics.

The final track of the album, “The Ballad of Yaya” is heavily rhythmic. Like many Edward Sharpe songs it will be perfect for summer music festivals and concerts. The song’s joyful exaltation leaves the album on an uplifting note.

After so many albums, bands often are forced to try something new — no one ever wants to hear the same thing twice. Edward Sharpe has been around for almost ten years now.

PersonA is clearly a transitional album,  — it shows the band moving forward in their lives and their music. The album is impressively successful in staying true to the original sound of the band, while changing the image and message they illustrate.

Rating: 4/5