Lukas Graham’s debut release is lyrical perfection

Pop/Soul outfit is ready for world domination
Lukas Grahams debut release is lyrical perfection
Courtesy of MTV

For almost three years, the soulful vocals of Lukas Graham have graced Europe, and now they are being heard here in the U.S. and the rest of the world.

This past Friday, the Danish pop-soul band, consisting of vocalist Graham’s and his band, released their first worldwide self-titled album consisting of two songs from their 2012 album and nine new tracks.

“7 Years,” the single that has made a name for the band in the U.S., reached No.1 on the Billboard Emerging Artists chart. The song is reflective of the Five For Fighting hit “100 Years,” as the singer experiences the stages of life and the thoughts that come along with it.

Graham’s soulful, pure vocals leave the listener with chills at the end of the song when he soberly reflects, “Soon I’ll be 60 years old/ Will I think the world is cold/Or will I have a lot of children who can warm me?”

“7 Years” is a fitting single as it sets the tone for the rest of the album. The project focuses on the lead singer’s impressive vocal abilities and the lyrics he sings with them.

Each track contains eloquent lyrics that are often thoughtful and reflective of life, death and societal trends. The songs make it seem as though they were written just for the voice of Graham. Each song is brought to light as the singer enters the higher register of his voice.

The last track of the album “Funeral,” is a unique gospel ballad that begins with church bells and ends with the haunting sound of an organ and a gospel choir. The song explores what is often known as the Irish Funeral, which is more of a celebration of life than a sorrowful endeavor.

One of the few slower tracks on the album, “What Happened to Perfect,” is also the perfect example of just that. The heartfelt lyrics in addition to the memorable melody create for a powerful track.

This self-titled debut album is one of the best records that has been released in a long time. Listeners will find themselves wanting to hear to each song over and over. This album is filled with intriguing lyrics sung by a memorable voice.

Rating: 5/5