Hump day: Best films online for a ‘Netflix and chill’ session

Set the mood with some sexy streaming for you and your partner
Hump day: Best films online for a Netflix and chill session
Photo Courtesy of Giphy Source THE-SWORD-IN-THE-STONE.TUMBLR.COM

When it comes to finding an excuse to hang with a honey, nothing offers up more varied and simple solutions like today’s video streaming services, including Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime. The recent introduction of “Netflix and chill” as a colloquial euphemism creates an ideal opportunity for broke college students to snuggle up with a sweetheart and watch (or not watch) movies.

Netflix and what?

The vague nature of “Netflix and chill” offers privacy to those uncomfortable disclosing specific sexual acts and adds a punch of promiscuity to an otherwise innocent phrase. Some may intend to “chill” throughout the entire movie, while others might actually want to see the movie through and wait to get it on when the credits roll.

When suggesting Netflix-accompanied intimacy, be sure to specify activities — “Let’s make out with Netflix in the background,” or “I’ve never seen the movie, let’s watch it through before I bust out the condoms.” Keep in mind that agreeing to Netflix and chill does not equate clear, freely given, informed, enthusiastic or continuous consent.

Hump day’s sexiest “Netflix & chill” choices

Finding the perfect movie for “Netflix and chill” can be troublesome — many romantic comedies are too corny, while romantic dramas are too dark. The ideal romance movie creates conversation with sweet, natural dialogue, complicated issues and relatable story lines.

Unfortunately, representative characters are difficult to find for many people of color and members of the LGBTQ community, since Hollywood remains mostly white, cisgender and heterosexual. Despite the discrimination of the film industry, one can easily find high-quality, diverse movies with a little research.

The following list seeks to include varied representations of sexuality, love and attraction, while providing the perfect ambience for “Netflix and chill.”

Netflix

1. “Blue is the Warmest Color” follows the intense love story of two young French women coming into their adulthood and sexuality. The sex scenes are steamy, but have received some criticism for the director’s excessive pressure on the actors.
  2. “Silver Linings Playbook” stars Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper as troubled lovers who pursue competitive dance together. The film, however, often oversimplifies or stigmatizes mental illness through its portrayal.
  3. “Duke of Burgundy” offers a classy lesbian alternative to the infamous “50 Shades of Grey.” Two insect biologists play a domination and submission game, accurately portraying the necessary communication involved in BDSM relationships.
  4. “The Overnight” begins with a meeting in a park. Two married couples agree to have dinner so their children can play together, but their decision brings the parents together in chaotic intimacy. Adam Scott and Jason Schwartzman provide excellent deadpan for a ridiculous comedy and conversation starter about monogamy.
  5. “Beyond the Lights” begins rather seriously with the protagonist’s attempted suicide, but the uplifting love she finds with the police officer who saves her creates an emotionally touching storyline.
  6. “Frida” focuses on the romantic relationship between esteemed painter Diego Rivera and famous self-portraitist Frida Kahlo.
  7. “Rent” provides an excellent musical backdrop for “Netflix and chill,” but may not be for the faint of heart — its characters struggle with the AIDS epidemic. Prepare to be impassioned by the issues introduced in this musical movie.
  8. “Slow Learners” appears to be a typical romantic comedy, but somehow exceeds expectations with unique characters and hilarious dialogue. Two unlucky-in-love friends seek to improve their love lives, but only find obstacles along the way.

Amazon Prime

1. “Magic Mike XXL” depicts male strippers as they travel to a stripping convention. Despite potential for homophobic jokes, “Magic Mike XXL” provides nothing but stellar sex-positive humor and beautiful bods (read: Channing Tatum).
  2. “Obvious Child” could be categorized as an abortion story if it weren’t for the heartfelt storyline and brilliant comedic timing of Jenny Slate. Unlike most media surrounding abortion, “Obvious Child” depicts the nuances of abortion in a genuine, de-stigmatized manner without sacrificing the rest of the story.