How self-production is becoming rule, not exception, in internet-age music scene

Artists like Bon Iver, Zedd share their desire to self-produce using modern technology
Zedd.
Gif courtesy of Giphy / Tumblr
Zedd.

In today’s musical climate, it is not good enough to simply have a decent voice to make it in the music industry. Musicians need to do something unique to make themselves stand out from the sea of potential stars.

This competition has driven the popularity of musicians becoming their own producers; now more than ever, producers are receiving the credit they deserve for the work they do. These previously unsung heroes are receiving fame for their work and artistry, right along with the vocalists.

This trend is that of our generation, unheard of even 20 years ago. Creator of Artists House Music, John Snyder, recognizes it is very difficult to successfully be the producer of your own music.

UW alum Zola Jesus discusses leap from makeshift apartment studio to international tours

“It is hard to be the artist and the audience at the same time,” he said.

But, with the help of YouTube and social media, the public can now observe the finesse it requires to act as both a successful producer and musician. Artists are gaining exposure for their work behind the scenes, along with the music they formulate through streaming websites.

In previous decades, popular culture idolized artists such as Brittany Spears and the Backstreet Boys. These artists were never caught writing their own music, much less producing it.  The music scene is evolving, and society has a desire for new, different music to enjoy.

The use of technology and audio engineering used in production brings a new sound that pop culture is readily embracing.

Black Violin delivers unique activism with hip-hop and classical blend

Pharrell, Jon Bellion and Jay-Z are just a few examples of artists today who are pushing the musical boundaries of production; their use of technology and audio engineering allows for the artists to create a distinct, more modern sound.

Bellion, specifically, will use a keyboard and a synthesizer, in addition to an Akai Music Production controller, which allows him to record and play back beats in the patterns he invents.

This trend is even reaching more local musicians such as indie-folk musician Justin Vernon, more popularly known as Bon Iver. Vernon found his personal sound when he hid away in Northern Wisconsin.

Freshman DJ Melvv boasts millions of Soundcloud listens, shows no signs of slowing down

He said in an interview with Paste Magazine that he doesn’t use engineers or producers on his albums because he is simply “capable of doing it himself.”

In the same interview Vernon mentions that, like Bellion, his favorite instrument has become the OP-1 sample-based synthesizer.

“I don’t travel with a guitar anymore. I travel with just my OP-1,” Vernon said.

The producer-musician duality will be seen throughout Madison’s stages this fall. Indie band the Oh Hellos will be visiting the Majestic Saturday, Oct. 24th. The Oh Hellos consist of a brother and sister who wrote, mixed, produced and mastered their hit album Through the Deep Dark Valley all on their own.

Father John Misty gets intimate with Orpheum audience at entrancing show

In an opposing genre, Zedd will be arriving at the Alliant Energy Center Halloween weekend. He began producing his own music in 2009, and since then has produced many popular hits, including Justin Bieber’s platinum single “Beauty and a Beat.”

Although the music of Bon Iver and Zedd appear very different, the musicians are virtually using the same modern techniques to create their music. Each artist today is reaching listeners in Madison by using modern technology to help produce their own authentic sound.