Lamp House: Frank Lloyd Wright’s early work lies hidden on the isthmus

Just two blocks northwest of the Capitol is an important piece of American architectural history. Prairie School icon Frank Lloyd Wright built the Robert M. Lamp House in 1903 for his childhood friend, and it still stands today as a historic example of the architect’s early designs.

Aaron Hathaway/The Badger Herald

Hidden in the center of the block, a small driveway at 22 N. Butler St. is the only access point to the residence. Innocuous from the street, it’s easy enough to pass by this place without even registering the home is back there.

Aaron Hathaway/The Badger Herald

Though simple when compared to Wright’s later work, the building is architecturally unique in contrast with its neighbors. Examining the geometric patterns, horizontal lines and neutral tones, one can picture the traits that would become more pronounced in Wright’s later work. The home is more than a century old and remains in good shape.

Taken around 1910, this photograph shows Lamp House with its original rooftop trellis.
Wikipedia

There’s something almost melancholy about the location — centrally situated in the block, Lamp House seems encapsulated in its own era. More modern houses and tall apartments surround the property, severing this historic home from the public eye. I can’t help but feel as though this piece of architectural history deserves more recognition.

Aaron Hathaway/The Badger Herald

Hiding rich architectural history obscured in the center of a busy Madison city block, Lamp House carries an alluring element of mystery. It feels as though it’s hiding from the public eye, which makes finding it that much more rewarding. Given how close it is to campus, Lamp House is an easy and worthwhile destination for those interested in architecture. Aspiring adventurers should note that Lamp House is still a private residence, so please tread respectfully.