Miley, meth, leather and Rob Ford: the winners of 2013

LUCAS OLENIUK

From the highs to the cringe-inducing lows, 2013 was a great year for pop cultural controversies. From Lena Dunham’s boobs stealing the show on “Girls” to Kanye West and Kim Kardashian uniting in a very literal way in the recently-released “Bound 2” music video, we were there for it all.

Although there are plenty of 2013 cultural tropes I hope are washed away with the champagne of the New Year—white people saying “turn down for what” among them—there was a lot to love this year.

Here are the biggest pop culture winners of 2013:

Miley Cyrus

Obviously. With her Video Music Awards gyrating, cultural misappropriating and twerking, Miley was inescapable this year. Entertainment reporters were likely hired solely to cover the news cycles she created in her wake: Miley just demanded attention.

With a tongue that launched 1,000 thinkpieces, Miley inspired plenty of hand-wringing with her antics, while, in reality, the narrative of a child star getting down and dirty to shed her Disney sheen is nothing new (indeed, at least we didn’t end up with a sex tape from this one).

Here’s to hoping that 2014 ushers in more of Miley just bein’ Miley without objectifying her black, female back-up dancers or misguidedly trying to make “ratchet” a fashion statement.  

“Breaking Bad” fans

There was never a better time to be a fan of the meth-slinging chemistry teacher with a nasty streak than 2013. Even as the show came to a satisfying, almost poetic close, fans waved their “Breaking Bad” flags for all they were worth as millions tuned in each Sunday to follow Walter White and Jesse Pinkman’s small peanuts RV cooks escalate into a drug empire.

As the fever pitch reached an all-time high, fans took it upon themselves to [SPOILER ALERT!] eulogize White with funeral ceremonies and printed obituaries across the country—a sign of how ingrained in the cultural fabric the show had become.

Resolution for 2014: Let it go. It’s over.

Leather fetishists

In terms of both fashion and breathability, leather was so hott this year.

It was in patches on T-shirts and accessories. Leather pants, leather tops and all leather dresses were ushered back into the mainstream, allowing leather lovers to finally have their time in the sun.

Yes, 2013 was a great year to be into leather. Here’s to hoping we won’t see the end of this PETA-condemned trend in the year to come.

Rob Ford

One year, or even six months, ago, no one knew who the mayor of Toronto was, and no one cared. But over the last several weeks, Ford has quickly become one of the most famous politicians not only on the North American continent but across the globe for his (apparent) crack smoking and hyper-publicized public relations gaffes.

Although the Toronto City Council voted to strip Ford of some of his mayoral powers, Ford made it clear that he’s not going anywhere. And, for the most part, he’s weathered the storm exceedingly well. His approval ratings are holding steady.

Really, Ford wins the entire year for this exchange responding to one of the latest allegations alone: “…It says that I wanted to eat her pussy…I’m happily married. I’ve got more than enough to eat at home.”

PEOPLE OF TORONTO, YOUR MAYOR IS GETTING PLENTY AT HOME. MOVE ALONG, THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE.