Channel TV’s stylish starlets

If you’re anything like me, you spent a majority of your Thanksgiving break catching up on all your favorite TV shows. Forget homework and anything productive – it was all about missed episodes, which got me thinking. I might be the only one, but I often find myself watching a show and wishing I lived in it, simply to have that wardrobe. Think about it – what would you give to have Blair Waldorf, Betty Draper or Cersei Lannister’s wardrobe? Well, for a few of those it might help if you actually lived in that same decade, but let’s try to incorporate some of what makes them fabulous into your day-to-day look.

Let’s start with “Mad Men.” How awesome would it be if we could go back to the ’60s and re-live that era of classy and elegant style? And the big, perfectly-coiffed hair! The women’s clothing in “Mad Men,” although conservative, exudes a sexiness that isn’t often seen today.

Shift dresses from this era tended to have higher necklines but emphasized the hips. Dresses like these are in style these days, and I say wear them! I’m all for outfits that aren’t too tight or too low-cut but still manage to show off your “assets.” Find dresses with rich, deep hues and you’ll look like you just stepped off the screen. And you’d be hard-pressed to find a female character on “Mad Men” not strutting her stuff in heels. There isn’t much more feminine than a beautiful pair of stiletto heels, so find some comfortable ones and embrace them!

For help on your “Mad Men” transformation, Banana Republic has created numerous collections based on the smash hit show. While the store’s pieces are often a bit out of a college student’s budget, look to it for inspiration. Many of its models have their hair swept up in elegant, voluminous up-dos, which are a classic, elegant look for a more professional occasion.

Fast forward forty-some years, and take a trip to Manhattan’s Upper East Side, the home of Blair Waldorf and the rest of the Gossip Girls. Blair has a killer wardrobe. The characters of “Gossip Girl” are all about high fashion, couture and designer labels, but you don’t have to have their wallets to replicate their fashion sense. For Blair and Serena, it’s not just about the skirt and top. The outfit encompasses everything from the hairstyle, to makeup, to jewelry, shoes and everything in between. 

But to truly channel a “Gossip Girl” character, aside from your fabulous wardrobe, find that one token accessory that people will associate with you right away. It could be a bag, a bracelet, whatever. It seems insignificant, but trust me, people will notice and actually remember.

It’s getting colder, and if you know anything about the Gossip Girls, you know winter doesn’t just mean black coats and other outerwear. Don’t let the dreadful weather dull your fashion color palate. Find a warm wool coat in a vibrant, rich color and don’t be afraid to wear it with anything. Green, yellow, pink … you’ll make a fabulous statement walking down State Street.

Blair might have an unrealistic collection of stellar handbags, but if you can find just one unique, bold bag that can be worn with anything, you’ll be set. Satchel bags are a classic staple that you will never regret. If you’re feeling brave, don’t choose a neutral. Choose purple or blue! Gossip Girls don’t blend in, nor do they want to.

One final note regarding “Gossip Girl” fashion: Don’t ever be afraid of lots of accessories (this goes for hair accessories, too). How do you pull it off? Confidence. That’s all it takes.

Now let’s draw a little inspiration from “Game of Thrones.” Medieval times, you ask? How in the world can you make that modern? Well, my friends, that’s what I’m here for.

Many of the dresses and costumes used in the show are of deep and rich hues, such as dark reds and golds. These colors are perfect to incorporate into a late fall/winter wardrobe. The warmth of these tones can really make your look seem expensive and high fashion, even if it isn’t.

Contrast these feminine colors with jewelry with more of an edge. Hard, distressed metals provide a balance for your look and are almost always on trend. Bangles, pendants and rings are just some of your options there. For an even more historically consistent accessory, try a brooch. They aren’t just for your great aunt anymore.

Fur is another way to give your wardrobe a medieval-inspired touch. Choosing a coat or sweater with a fur trim is one way to go. Or even a furry bag. Have fun with it!

“Game of Thrones” is also known for its characters decked out in armor and military gear. Who says it’s only for guys? Armor-inspired jackets are really unique (and kind of badass) and can go with almost anything.

All kinds of designers are taking inspiration from HBO’s major hit, and I think you should too. But enough from me – it’s time to get back to my shows. And it’s time for you to shop.

Emma Ausin is a senior majoring in journalism. Send her your opinions or questions on the latest trends at [email protected].