Band finds gold at end of ‘Rainbow’

CoheedandCambria
Year of the Rainbow is living proof that experimental rockers Coheed and Cambria have what it takes to continue to succeed in the future.[/media-credit]

Marking the end of a saga, Coheed and Cambria’s latest album, Year of the Black Rainbow, debuted last week to a plethora of hype. The band, already known for their experimental blend of rock genres, moves toward a more progressive feel with its latest offering while still holding on to post-hardcore roots. Whatever the case, Year of the Black Rainbow will be an orgasmic fusion of sight and sound for returning fans and new listeners.

A prequel to lead singer Claudio Sanchez’ “The Amory Wars” graphic novel series, YOBR, like all of Coheed’s works, is a concept album. “The Amory Wars” follows Coheed and Cambria Kilgannon’s son, Claudio, on his adventures in a science-fiction-esque world. This strange feel was characteristic of past albums but it is not so much present here. Rather than being accompanied with a comic, Year of the Black Rainbow instead comes with a novel included in the deluxe edition of the record.

To make up for the lack of visual aid, the musical landscape of YOBR is art in and of itself. Sanchez’s voice combined with guitarist Travis Stever’s riffs and new drummer, Chris Pennie’s, beats produces an overwhelming experience of synaesthesia, as the group paints images using music as its medium. This new sound can be attributed to collaboration with producers Atticus Ross (Nine Inch Nails) and Joe Barresi (Tool) — a potent combination, if any.

“The Broken,” the first released track off of YOBR, embodies Coheed’s new sound, as it layers everything beautifully. This is Coheed on crack — and it works. Sanchez’s recognizable high-pitched vocals glide over a narrative story before hooking into a catchy chorus, all to a background of blaring sound. Keeping in style with past albums, technical guitar solos and crushing rhythms can distinctly be heard in the mix. Sounding like the love child of Queen’s Freddie Mercury and Iron Maiden, “The Broken” asserts itself as a beneficial play with sound.

This sound is brought even further in the first single off the album, “Here We Are Juggernaut.” Here, Sanchez’s voice is layered on top of itself, in higher and higher pitches, creating one of the most intense choruses to date. This song is the quintessential giving of the finger as it is an exertion of strength and confidence, all over a heavily synthesized background. With lyrics such as, “This is not your place/ No this is not your playground/ It’s my heart!” Coheed incorporates more of an angry feel into their typically emotion-packed lyrics. Combined with vocals constantly switching between a harsh growl and a passionate croon, “Here We Are Juggernaut” ties back to the post-hardcore feel of previous work.

Although Year of the Black Rainbow may not be everyone’s cup of tea, for those willing to give it a listen, appreciation will be rampant. Through their constant touring (including stints on Slipknot’s All Hope is Gone tour and Lollapalooza), it is evident that Coheed is just as dedicated to its music as it is willing to experiment with sound. Hence, Year of the Black Rainbow, if any indication of what the future has in store for Coheed and Cambria, is an exciting mark of a new future.