Band should make music a career, not ‘Habit’

NeonTrees
Aside from opening for The Killers in 2008, you may have heard of Neon Trees through their single, \”Animal,\” which appears on the CD.[/media-credit]

After five years of performing, including a stint as the opening act for The Killers in 2008, rock band Neon Trees has their opportunity for stardom with the release of their first full-length album, Habits.

The band came together when lead vocalist Tyler Glenn and guitarist Chris Allen formed the group in their hometown of Provo, Utah. Eventually they teamed up with bass player Branden Campbell and drummer Elaine Bradley. The four have collaborated on many singles and now on their first album.

In addition to seven new tracks, Habits also includes the popular single, “Animal.” The single was released earlier this year and received considerable recognition, eventually reaching No. 32 on the Billboard of Alternative Songs and combines great energy with the rhythm of the guitar and the beat of the drums.

The energy with which “Animal” is performed instantly injects dynamism into the lyrics. Referring to the prospect of starting over in a relationship, the lyrics hint at the excitement of a new beginning, an idea conveyed by the first two lines of the song: “Here we go again/ I kinda wanna be more than friends.”

However, “Animal” was not alone in this theme. In “Sins of My Youth,” another dynamic song, the singer argues a relationship should not be judged on a lover’s past. “Would you love me still if I were to confess/ That I had a little too much fun back when I was young?”

Along with romance is a hint of jealously in “1983,” a slow-pace song filled with the sorrow of a broken heart. “It ain’t so pretty when you’re playing cute/ And your body’s up against some fool.”

Of course, with romance always comes confusion, as represented in the song “In the Next Room.” “I lose control/ When I hear your body move/ And I’m dying to break through/ To the next room.” The song begins with a slow steady beat with a keyboard assisting in the background.

Like any other album, the songs are made to stir excitement in their audience. In “Girls and Boys in School” and “Your Surrender,” each song begins with a solo instrument introduction and is shortly thereafter joined by other members of the band. During the chorus of both songs, the singing and instruments are well represented — one instrument does not dominate over the other.

Neon Trees deserves credit for the energy and emotion they put into their music, exemplified by their final song of the album, “Our War,” which proves Glenn can certainly send a message to an audience.

Not only does the group have a new album in their musical repertoire, the band will perform as the opening act for musical group 30 Seconds to Mars in Chicago on April 16 at the Aragon Ballroom.

The band has composed an impressive first album. In their music they have created the energy and emotion similar to that of U2. Seeing where they are now, it’s possible they could eventually reach that level of fame.

3 stars out of 5.