Live from Madison, it’s ‘Rocky Horror’

Pull on your fishnets, lace up your corsets and get ready to revel in the ridiculousness that is “Rocky Horror.” This weekend, Madison audiences will do “The Time Warp” again — but this time they’ll be shouting and singing along with a live cast rather than a film soundtrack.

Broadway Madison, a recently formed regional theater company, will turn up the heat at State Street’s landmark Orpheum Theatre, tonight through Saturday, with five live performances of “The Rocky Horror Show.”

This will be the premier performance for Broadway Madison. Co-owner Barb Davis says the company has big changes in the works for both the Orpheum and the Madison dinner theater scene. Broadway Madison’s performance of “The Rocky Horror Show” marks the first live theatre production to take the stage at the Orpheum since the 1960s.

“We thought it would be best to bring in something that’s comparable to what already goes on there,” Davis said. “They do rock concerts there, and ‘Rocky Horror’ is very much that kind of a show.”

While the sound and lighting systems present challenges for the cast (they’re hanging light fixtures from the balcony for this performance), the space lends itself to the intimacy of a live theater performance.

“They just don’t build theaters like this anymore,” Davis said. “The fact that we’re taking it back to its original purpose; it’s just so exciting to me.”

“The Rocky Horror Show” is a new endeavor for Broadway Madison, but Dr. Frank N Furter, Riff Raff, Magenta and the rest of the “Rocky Horror” crew are no strangers in this town. “Rocky Horror” first came to life in Madison in 1978 when the Majestic screened the film with a shadow cast, a group of live actors who perform in front of the screen. Screenings continued sporadically during the following decades as the Majestic opened and closed and cast members came and went. In 2002, the screenings moved from the Majestic to the Orpheum. But “Rocky Horror” fans remain devoted.

“It’s almost a cult-like following,” Davis said.

Twenty-year-old Bryce Muenchow, who plays Riff Raff, said the live performance of “Rocky Horror” has an undeniable energy that’s lacking in the film version. Audiences who are accustomed to the film screenings will be dealing with a different animal when they sit down to watch the live show.

“We’ll have you on the edge of your seat,” Muenchow said.

If you’ve ever seen “Rocky Horror” in a live setting, you probably already know the show demands audience participation. This weekend’s performances will be no exception.

“We encourage participation,” Davis said.

Participation bags, which will include rubber gloves, a bell, playing cards, a noise maker and a flashlight, will be available for purchase at the show. But how are you supposed to know when to actually ring the bell?

“If they know the show, they know when to use it,” Davis said. “There are just lines in the show that are conducive to it. When Rocky is born, Frank N Furter snaps plastic gloves and that’s when everyone puts the gloves on.”

However, these are live actors, and there is no screen — so leave the Super Soakers at home.

Muenchow described “The Rocky Horror Show” as “a rock concert meets a drag show meets Halloween.”

“The show doesn’t have much of a plot,” Davis said, laughing.

At the show’s commencement, we meet demure young couple Brad and Janet.

“They become engaged and go off to find the professor that made it all happen,” Davis explained. “They blow a tire, and they end up at this castle, and at this castle, anything can and does happen.”

Whether you’re a Rocky Horror virgin or a follower who’s shivering with “antici…pation” at the thought of this weekend’s performances, the show’s deliciously campy tunes and characters will not disappoint.

“We have a bunch of phenomenal people in the cast, a bunch of really great dancers, a bunch of really great actresses, some triple threats,” Muenchow said. “Everyone comes in to rehearsal and busts their ass.”

The show is directed and choreographed by Michael Stanek, with musical direction by Matthew Imhoff, and stars Z-104’s Fish Calloway as the narrator.

The history of “Rocky Horror” in Madison is, well, rocky — but Broadway Madison’s reincarnation of the show as a live performance proves that “Rocky Horror” is a fetish that’s here to stay.

“It’s going to be naughty; its going to be risque,” Muenchow said. “Come with an open mind.”

“The Rocky Horror Show” performance times are Thursday, February 25 at 10 p.m., Friday, February 26 at 8 p.m. and midnight and Saturday, February 27 at 8 p.m. and midnight. Tickets are $15, but they will be on sale for $10 at the door for Thursday’s performance.