Delicious picks for late night cravings

It’s usually around 2 a.m. when the hunger strikes. Many of you know the feeling — either you’ve been in the library staring at your books for hours and you just can’t take it any longer, or you’ve been knocking back drinks with Jack, Jos?, Mr. Boston and God knows who else as the words “last call” echo in your ears. All of a sudden your eyes widen, your stomach growls and you have a sense of determination unlike that for other meals as you realize the importance of your quest to find the food that will perfectly satisfy your late-night hunger.

Of course, you could go to Taco Bell or the walk-up window at McDonald’s. Or hit up one of the many sandwich shops that stay open until the wee hours — Silver Mine, Milio’s, Jimmy John’s and the like. But why eat at a chain restaurant, available at any time of the day in most cities around the country, when you are here, in Madison, where the culinary offerings beat that of many college towns — even at two in the morning? Not only is the food impressive and unique, but eating at one of the small food carts or a Madison staple is a great way to support local businesses and to make sure the late-night culinary scene continues to thrive.

Here I will highlight a few of my favorite late-night food options. All located in the downtown area, they are easily accessible as you scour the campus area looking for a quick bite.

Jin’s Chicken & Fish

This late-night favorite has faced some controversy surrounding its location and the rowdy customers who are always lined up outside the cart now located on Library Mall, but there’s a reason Jin’s causes such a stir. Loyal fans will do anything to get one of the signature sandwiches on a weekend night. The tender-fried chicken, shredded lettuce, mayo and exceptionally hot hot sauce combine to form one of the most filling and satisfying meals available at 2:30 a.m.

A fried catfish sandwich is also available, but the chicken is what most people come for. Be willing to be aggressive when holding your place in line, because the closer you get to eating one of the steaming sensations, the more competitive you’ll have to be in order to not be left stranded in the perpetually long line. (But don’t cut in line. I repeat, do not cut in line – Ed.)

D.P. Dough

D.P. Dough’s signature calzones attract many people to this late-night hot spot on Gilman Street, but what few people know is that D.P. Dough also serves chicken tenders as a side on their menu. They are juicy and hot and come in Plain, Buffalo, Teriyaki or BBQ, with a plethora of dipping sauces available.

Ian’s vs. Pizza di Roma

Ah, the ongoing debate between Ian’s Pizza and Pizza di Roma. Which is better? They’re both superb options for a good slice of pizza late into the night and offer a sometimes crucial go-to for those who can’t make up their mind when everything is beginning to close. Go to Ian’s for the signature mac ‘n’ cheese pizza or some other offbeat topping, but go to Pizza di Roma if it’s a good old-fashioned slice of pizza pie you crave. The light sauce, thin but not crispy crust and classic toppings are sometimes just what you need at 2 a.m. on a Tuesday.

Tornado Club

The Tornado Steak House is one of the classiest dining joints in Madison, but don’t think that poor college kids can’t enjoy the award-winning food. Tornado offers an impressive late-night menu, available for takeout and served from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. that simply can’t be beat in terms of taste or price. With most menu items around the $10 mark, you can afford to try the peppercorn-encrusted salmon sandwich or the white wine-poached sea scallops. My recommendations are the steak sandwich — savory beef tenderloin and saut?ed onions served au jus with horseradish sauce on a thick bun — and some of the best onion rings in town — thick, fresh onions breaded in a light and flavorful crust and fried to perfection.

They even offer a healthier option. The iceberg salad is a half-head of lettuce served with onion and tomato and a light drizzling of sweet and tangy French/bleu cheese dressing. This is a late-night stop worth checking into, and since it’s only available until 1 a.m., I’d say it’s worth leaving the bar early for.

Sabores Latinos

Sabores Latinos serves fresh and authentic Mexican fare for late-night scavengers. Although I know the burritos and quesadillas are an ever-popular option, in my opinion, the steak tacos are the best item available for purchase. The trick is you have to order them right. Ask for the steak taco with only cilantro, onions and hot sauce on it. By skipping all of the toppings we come to expect on a taco like cheese, lettuce and tomato, you can taste the authenticity and quality that Sabores Latinos serves. And at $2 a pop, you can afford to eat more than one, because trust me, after trying them, you’ll want to.

These are not the only sources of late-night dining glory, but these five stops offer some of the best flavor options to be found around bar time. My advice: Don’t get stuck in a rut of eating at the same ol’ chain restaurants when searching for something to hit the spot when the hunger strikes. Venture around State Street, try something new and enjoy one of the many unique culinary delights offered to you as a hungry Madisonian night owl. Your taste buds will thank you, and even if you can’t quite remember in the morning what you ate last night, you can be rest assured it was good.

Elin Amundson is a senior majoring in history and philosophy. Do you have a favorite place to satisfy the late-night munchies? Send comments and suggestions to [email protected].