Ben Folds to shake up Madison stage

Whether he’s leaking fake songs off of his upcoming album just to confuse fans, staging pranks at his own concerts or basically telling cranky John Mayer fans to shove it, Ben Folds always shakes things up.

And with a constant stream of collaborative projects to keep things fresh, it doesn’t look like he’s going to stop any time soon.

“I think it’s nice to immerse yourself in a project,” Folds said. “It’s a necessary part of it for me. I like different shades of collaboration.”

One of Folds’ most well-known and extensive collaborative efforts is his work on William Shatner’s 2004 solo album, which Folds co-wrote, produced and arranged. Currently, he’s working with author Nick Hornby on an album to be released in 2010.

“I could go out as Ben Folds with a big copyrighted sign and you know exactly what you’re going to get. And that’s good, but when you throw yourself in with Nick Hornby, it’s like, wow, how am I going to deal with this?” Folds explained. “And you find yourself creating things despite yourself.”

The resulting album will feature music by Folds and lyrics by Hornby. Both artists reveal a blunt honesty and an appreciation for snarky pop culture references in their respective works, and it sounds like their collaborative album will reflect those tastes — one of the songs will apparently be titled “Levi Johnston’s Blues.”

“The thing with Nick Hornby is really the most pure collaboration I’ve done besides the one with Shatner,” Folds said.

Even when he’s working on projects like these, it seems like Folds is always on the road. His current tour is bringing him to the Overture Center in Madison on Friday night.

“Half the shows are solo piano and the other half are symphony orchestra shows,” Folds said of his current cross-country trek.

Folds has nothing but support and praise for his opening act, Kate Miller-Heidke and encourages fans to check out her set.

“I think she’s one of those people that actually does deserve to be called a unique talent,” Folds said.

Folds has played in college towns like Madison since the mid-1990s. Even as he gets older and his musical perspective shifts, the way Folds attacks his piano onstage and sings clever yet playful songs full of expletives continues to appeal to college audiences.

“You’re lucky if you make music that the college age latches on to,” Folds said. “College kids are pretty much at the peak of their skills as a music fan. Their powers of perception are honed. It’s a good time to listen to music.”

In April, Folds showed his respect for college a cappella groups as well, when he released Ben Folds Presents: University A Cappella!, a compilation of Folds’ songs performed by college a cappella groups from all over the country.

“It probably did a lot better than anyone expected,” Folds said of the project. “And I think it’s turned a couple ears toward a cappella music, possibly. But a project like that, you don’t really do thinking that you’re going to get anything out of it.” Folds’ royalties from the a cappella album went toward music education.

Just as Folds constantly challenges himself creatively, keeping up with him is a challenge for his listeners. Even the most diehard fans never really know what to expect from Folds. So what can you be sure to see at his show in Madison?

“A piano,” Folds said.

But if the past 15 years have taught us anything about this artist, it’s that a piano is just the beginning of the Ben Folds experience.

Ben Folds will play at the Overture Center Friday, Oct. 30. Visit www.overturecenter.com for information.