‘Take a chance’ on ABBA Mania

Twenty-seven years ago, four Swedish heartthrobs parted ways after a near 10-year run of international superstardom, selling 370 million albums globally with hits like “Mamma Mia” and “Dancing Queen.” ABBA arouses nostalgia about the more youthful and energetic years for an aging Generation X, though few tweeny boppers and teenagers enthralled by Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers are likely to recognize the foursome behind the iconic anagram that inspired Madonna, Kylie Minogue and Broadway-show-turned-blockbuster-hit “Mamma Mia!”

But the unremitting demand for ABBA by the post-teenage demographic since the pop group’s disintegration has opened a chasm for exorbitant volumes of kitschy tribute groups to fill in the gap, though few mimicries of varying commitment to the original like A*Teens (now defunct) and ABBA Mania have met stardom.

With a track record second to The Beatles, ABBA’s influence appears to transcend time and ABBA Mania is proof of just that.

For some, the name ABBA instigates flashbacks to Generation X’s first kiss, memories of the high school dance with a high school sweetheart or a stress reliever for a 17-hour plane ride to another part of the world. But for others, like Mark Thomas of ABBA Mania, who portrays Bj?rn Ulvaeus (wig and all), musical inspiration came with thanks to

Anni-Frid Lyngstad, Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson and Agnetha F?ltskog.

“It’s a whole bunch of childhood memories. I have very clear memories of where I was when I heard some of these songs for the first time … to the point I can actually tell you the house and the room I was in when I heard ‘Take a Chance on Me,'” Thomas said. “For people living outside the States, this is the most iconic pop band that has ever been. It has actually defined pop music to a large degree, for Europeans.”

Those who mimic the original four may strike a sour note for some who cite squatting of a successful and established group. More often than not, however, it’s the inexperienced musicians who pick up a mic and deliver poor impersonations that give professional tributes a bad rep.

“Sadly, it would seem that everyone wants to have a go at being an Elvis Presley or being a Queen band, so most people will just get up and give it go, and sometimes consequently the band is not so good and we all get a bad press because of it,” Thomas said.

Impersonation is a dedicated art form that develops over years of training and experience. Thomas once boasted a successful solo career, performing at the prestigious London Palladium and the Royal Festival Hall, while fellow group members Daniel Dibdin, Carley Broom and Katy Summer have experienced their fair share of solo music careers and music degrees. Broom was lead vocalist with the United Kingdom National Youth Orchestra; Dibdin, graduate of Leeds College of Music, is the musical director of London’s West End show “The Rat Pack”; and Summer studied at Chapra Academy of performing and recording arts and received a B.A. in contemporary music at ACM Guildford.

Reenacting ABBA’s heydays is a laborious and meticulous procedure drawing on all members of ABBA Mania who double up efforts, performance aside.

“Every aspect of the show, from costumes to choreography, to the instruments used on stage, to the way the stage is constructed in terms of stage set and colors used, and everything, every last detail goes into making the show,” Thomas said.

Being a stickler for detail, Thomas labored from 1998 to 2000 to write the creation that is ABBA Mania. Even Thomas’ wife plays a part in the show’s production.

“She’s my accountant, she does a certain degree of management and she’s involved on the costume side of things as well,” he said.

Each band member’s involvement maintains ABBA Mania’s international success and compensates for the overwhelming production schedule. This tribute pop group has toured South America, Europe and the U.S., and has performed to an audience of 15 million, the cast of “Mamma Mia” and even the original ABBA members.

“We’ve been fortunate to have met a lot of ABBA royalty,” Thomas said.

On the phone from the U.K., Thomas divulged his European perspective on America.

“Everybody outside America looks at the States as something to be conquered. It’s almost like a world upon itself,” he said. “To come over there and start to tour the show is exciting for us… bring your party clothes.”

And the notoriously frigid Wisconsin weather apparently isn’t a concern.

“It’s cold? You’re talking to a Welshman. Let me show you cold.”

ABBA Mania’s Overture Center for the Arts performance in Madison on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. will be the second stop in their first Midwest tour.