Group unable to reach new ‘Horizons’

In the world of music, there are musicians who make a mark and others who just seem to fade with the passing of time. Despite having one of the most popular songs in 2000, Vertical Horizon belongs to the latter category, as they seem to have all but disappeared from the music scene — until now, that is. The band’s release of Burning the Days is an attempt to emerge into the present that unfortunately does not deliver.

Burning the Days is Vertical Horizon’s fifth album coming after a four-year hiatus, following the band’s last album, Go. Go was relatively unheard of, as it was practically abandoned by its record label at the time. During this hiatus, frontman Matt Scannell worked with several different musicians, developing a new focus for the sound of the band. Vertical Horizon has since switched to its own label, Outfall Records, from which it has offered up this latest creation.

Vertical Horizon switches directions with its newest record, as the majority of the tracks incorporate more of the acoustic sound the band originally started with in 1990. However, Vertical Horizon should have stuck with its more pop/rock-based music, as most of the album sounds like a continuation of the same song. Scannell’s vocals do not come across as strong on most of the tracks, or at least not as strong as they used to be.

“Save Me From Myself,” released in May, is one of the relatively few redeeming tracks on the entire album. This track is the direct culmination of both of Vertical Horizon’s sounds, as it embraces both acoustic and pop influences. The song is open to interpretation, but the lyrics are certainly darker than to be expected.

While a powerful single, the lyrical content is clich?, revolving around a chorus echoing, “There’s nothing left/ Inside for me to break/ Save me from myself.” When thrown in the middle of metaphors detailing characters lost in the world, the whole song begins to seem a tad stereotypical.

“Even Now,” a collaboration between Scannell and Neil Peart, the drummer from Rush, is another song worth listening to. About a relationship ended by someone seeking more in their life, this track is about this same character finally feeling remorse for their actions. These new, intense emotions are the ex’s version of “getting even,” hence the title.

Lyrics on “Even Now” such as “And now you spill out your regrets/ A might river to a bitter stream/ Lying awake thinking about all that might have been/ I guess we’re even now” epitomize the artistic turn taken by the band since its hiatus.

In a way, Vertical Horizon’s latest CD does hold value, as it shows a band’s evolution toward more creative and multifaceted music. While Burning the Days is nothing compared to Vertical Horizon’s previous work, it does offer up yet another hit for band fans to listen to, which could quite possibly put the band back on the map.

2 1/2 stars out of 5.