Kracker’s new CD no ‘Happy Hour’

After five years, Uncle Kracker reemerges with a new spelling and a new album but not a new sound. If he was trying to reinvent his image with a new spelling (note the change from Uncle Cracker to Uncle Kracker), it certainly was not reflected in his music. In his first album since 2004, Happy Hour continues in his unique genre blend of country, pop and rock. Perhaps if he were able to pick just one genre, he might have more success next time.

Happy Hour does offer great choruses and simple but catchy beats to nod along with. Though you won’t remember the words, which is not necessarily a bad thing, you will probably be humming these tunes for a few days. The lyrics, however, you are better off forgetting. He probably doesn’t realize how some of his words ring true for the whole album, such as in “Another Love Song”: “Complete with clich?/ And metaphor/ You heard before.”

The lyrics are repetitive, unoriginal and even borrowed. The chorus of “Livin’ the Dream” will sound very familiar, probably because it’s from an old Whitesnake song. Despite the rename, you will know it better as the classic “Here I Go Again.” However, his lines are contrived and corny with forced rhymes in every line. As a matter of fact, his attempts to rhyme simply make things awkward.

Although the lyrics are not very deep, they are occasionally a little funny. The best example is “My Girlfriend”, which tells the story of a man telling his parents that the girl he was dating now has her own girlfriend. He reacts by saying, “It was cool/ For a minute” and “I’m not as sad/ As you think I might be/ The part that makes me mad/ Is that they didn’t invite me.” In the end, he promises to keep his parents posted in case “She swings it/ Back this way.” It may not be the best writing, but it will probably at least evoke a smile at some parts.

Even though the singsongy rhymes fall flat with little substance to hold them up, the catchy beats might have their time and place. The album has a chill, backyard barbecue-type feel that is perfect for a laidback summer album. In other words, it would be a great CD to put on for background noise and forget about.

Influenced by his eight-year-old daughter, it’s evident Uncle Kracker was trying for a more upbeat record. Although the record will certainly appeal to country music listeners, the light-hearted, soulful sound is something all listeners can certainly appreciate.

The most worthwhile song on the album is the single called “Smile.” It is a very pop-y radio hit with mass appeal and will probably boast some success. Proving to follow in the footsteps of his previous records with about one hit per album, “Smile” is definitely the best shot for him here, and probably will go down with “Follow Me” as part of his handful of modest hits. Unfortunately, the rest of the album will probably have a much dimmer future.

1 star out of 5.