‘Say Hi’ to next top indie music success

For most, a band is generally comprised of a number of different people: people to play instruments, people to write lyrics and people to sing the lyrics. Say Hi (formerly known as Say Hi To Your Mom) defies all of those conventions with Eric Elbogen as the lead singer, the writer of the lyrics and the player of the instruments.

How is it possible he is in so many places all at once? By creating all of his music on his Mac computer, of course. Say Hi’s newest album Oohs & Aahs is no different than the last six (the exception being this is the first Say Hi album to be released by Barsuk Records), with quirky sounds from his computer and unique and attention-grabbing lyrics.

Say Hi, based in Seattle, Wash., was created by Elbogen, who performed solo with the help of synthesizers and drum machines. In 2005, however, Elbogen was joined by Chris Egan III as drummer and Jeff Sheinkopf as keyboardist to perform the then-trio’s mostly three-minute songs.

Elbogen makes intriguing tracks, not solely because of his inventive and creative lyrics, but also due to his use of his computer. With everything from horns (“Dramatic Irony”), clapping (“One…Two, One”), organ samples (“Maurine”) and echo effects (“Sallie’s Heart Is Stone”) that are found on his Mac, Say Hi creates a new and different style of sound for every track on Oohs & Aahs.

One of the best songs from Say Hi’s newest album is “November Was White, December Was Grey.” With the effects and instruments combined, you can feel the winter and its accompanying emotions. Elbogen includes gasps and breathing into the song which resembles the sharp intake of breath when walking outside into the bitter cold. With spring break coming up, many will relate to lyrics like, “Well, someday soon/ When the spring brings the sun/ I’ll finally sleep, I’ll finally/ Feel better when the winter’s gone.”

However, the only complaint has to do with Elbogen’s vocal effects. While singing, Elbogen is hard to understand, since the lyrics often run together and the words are not clear. Whether intentional or not, he makes it almost impossible to appreciate some of the lyrics.

For example, in both “Elouise” and “Hallie And Henry,” the words are garbled and slurred. The other tracks are better — more of the words can be understood, but they do go in and out of comprehension every now and again. And because Elbogen’s lyrics are so unique, it is disappointing to not be able to understand every word. So make sure to have the lyrics printed out and handy.

Say Hi’s newest album, Oohs & Aahs, is overflowing with creativity and a fresh perspective. While the lyrics are sometimes difficult to decipher, once figured out, they are appreciated for their inventiveness and originality. With songs bringing the feelings of winter, strange relationships, car rides or in the case of “Maurine,” broken hearts, the lyrics will draw anyone in, even if it is only to hear Elbogen work his magic with his Mac.

4 stars out of 5.