Souper Bowl XIII tackles winter chill with arts, eats

Whoa baby, is it cold outside or what? In fact, it is has been so cold outside that you would have to go all the way back to last year to find a date where the high was above freezing. And with no end to this arctic Madison winter in sight, it is safe to say that we are all looking for ways to stay warm.

Well, lucky for us all, the University of Wisconsin chapter of Habitat for Humanity has the perfect solution. This Saturday, the student-run organization will host their 13th annual Souper Bowl, offering the local community the chance to warm not only their insides with piping hot soup, but also their souls with the rewarding feeling that comes from helping out a good cause.

Founded in 1993, the UW chapter offers students numerous opportunities throughout the school year to help strengthen both the Madison and international community. Each year, the chapter sponsors a Habitat home for a local family through fundraising and volunteer building as well as financially supports at least one international house.

“We offer opportunities in four main areas of building, fundraising, education and advocacy, and it is through these areas that students are able to attack the housing crisis and make a rewarding, visible difference in the community in which they live,” said Justin Gerstner, local chapter president.

This year, the chapter will be completing their eighth student-built house, thanks in large part to the money raised at last year’s Souper Bowl, the organization’s largest fundraiser.

Not to be confused with the NFL’s big game, the Souper Bowl is an annual event that brings the Madison community together for an evening of local food, art and entertainment. For only $15, attendees will get to not only pick out a bowl from among hundreds of handmade ceramics crafted by both local high school students and professional potters, but also fill that same bowl with one of the many tasty soups generously donated by local businesses like Panera Bread. Also included with your donation are salad and a variety of homemade desserts.

But the food is only one aspect of this fun-filled event. Local artists will be offering regular pottery demonstrations, giving you the chance to see how your one-of-a-kind memento was created. There will also be raffle prizes and a “Pro Bowl” silent auction featuring larger, more decorative bowls created by some of Madison’s premier potters.

And what is an event without some live entertainment? Throughout the evening, attendees will be moved by the sounds of the UW Band, Tangled up in Blue, the UW’s women’s a cappella group and Jimmie Linville of Madison’s own Red Romero. While you listen, you can also meet and chat with a number of local celebrities including Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, UW student athletes, local TV personalities and Bucky Badger. The best part, though, is that you can do all this and help fight homelessness in the Madison at the same time.

“Anytime that a group of students can pull together an entire community to raise over $25,000 in five hours is truly amazing,” Gerstner said. “That said, this event really stands out from other Habitat fundraisers because it emphasizes the fact that Habitat is based around community building.”

Despite starting out small, this event has grown tremendously since chapter members approached Madison West art teacher, Don Hunt, 13 years ago with the idea for the fundraiser. Thanks to Hunt’s time, talent and passion throughout the years, the Souper Bowl is now a Madison tradition. Although Don unfortunately passed away last August after a 14-month battle with brain cancer, he leaves a legacy with hundreds of students, potters and community members whose lives he touched. This weekend, both volunteers and those attending will have the opportunity to carry out this legacy.

“This is an excellent way for students to represent the university as a dedicated part of the Madison community and to remind people that we are about becoming successful professionals and creating lasting change in the place we live even if we do have our Mifflins and Halloweens,” Gerstner said.

So whether you are looking for a chance to get out of the cold for a couple hours while helping out those in need at the same time or even an excuse to start your Super Bowl festivities a day early, the Souper Bowl is the event for you because it is the only place in town where you can help build a home by simply enjoying a bowl of soup.

Souper Bowl XIII takes place this Saturday, Jan. 31, at Madison West High School from 3 to 8 p.m.