Michelle Obama not new Jacqueline Kennedy

In 1961, Jacqueline Kennedy stole the public eye with her impeccable fashion sense the moment she attended the inaugural ball in a satin ivory gown designed by American Oleg Cassini. Her style exuded glamorous modernity, yet reflected on classic American culture. Her time as first lady was characterized by her dedication to the arts, the televised tour of the renovated White House, the fashion-designer friends. Her social eloquence, dedication to the arts and photogenic appearance instantly won over the media placing her alongside Coco Chanel and Audrey Hepburn with the title of “fashion icon.”

Now, almost 50 years later, a first lady has entered the White House potentially claiming the title once held by Jackie O. Michelle Obama’s similarities to Jackie are undeniable. Michelle is young, modern and has captivated the American people and media. With this in mind, I can understand why Michelle is suddenly being mistakenly labeled a “fashion icon.” Don’t get me wrong; I adore Michelle Obama as a woman and as a first lady. I think she is stunning, supportive and an incredibly optimistic symbol for our country. She looks good in contemporary fashion and attempts to break away from the stiff skirt-suit, unlike Laura Bush, gaining the respect of the fashion world. Although I do admire her unconventional choices, Michelle does not always hit the mark or display the same sophistication that would grant her the title of “icon.”

For starters, our first lady wore a hideous gown on the night her husband was elected president. I do not care in what way the glossy fashion mags try to spin it — that was not attractive. She did, in fact, choose a designer highly praised in the fashion world but not commercially known; however, she did not pick an appropriate gown. The fit was terrible for her body. It made her look heavy, which she most definitely is not. The splattered paint/blood was not too inviting or optimistic. The bolero she wore, although in Vogue, was an unnecessary addition making the outfit frumpy. Her simpler choices, such as J. Crew cardigans and tweed pencil skirts, are a contemporary version of the typical first lady uniform typically worn by preppy sorority girls. Nothing about that is unique or iconic.

I was always skeptical of the “icon” nomination but wanted to wait until the inaugural ceremony and balls to make my final judgment. With that said, the only thing louder than Michelle’s canary-yellow Isabel Toledo jacket was Aretha Franklin’s rhinestone-encrusted hat. The jacket was unquestionably bold, but a true icon makes a statement with the simplest of outfits, such as the case of Coco Chanel and the classic LBD. The fabric looked like it came from a stuffy embroidered curtain hanging in a White House window. Her inaugural ball gown gained much praise from the media but failed to impress me. I thought the dress was modern and on trend with the asymmetrical, one-shoulder, Grecian style, but looked like it had been shredded by their new pet dog. It also was not completely age-appropriate and looked like it belonged on a young Hollywood starlet walking the red carpet.

One thing Michelle has done right is combining inexpensive designer pieces with the high-end. Her choice of J. Crew and H&M is humbling. It also inspired American women to go out and shop. In these “economic times,” a first lady who can encourage consumer spending may greatly improve the American economy and create hope that things will change. Michelle’s support of American designers is marvelous as well. Her choices of Maria Pinto and Narciso Rodriquez as favorites put America back on top in a European-dominated industry. Since her appearance in the hideous Isabel Toledo jacket, Toledo’s career has taken off. She has gone from being unable to run advertisements due to limited funds to a household name. But some members of the Black Arts Association are unhappy with Michelle’s choices. They are upset Michelle has yet to wear anything from a black designer. Now that she is in the spotlight for her style, the pressure is on to please all, even if she did not ask for it.

The main reason Michelle Obama should not be recognized as a fashion icon is that she is not in any way attempting to be one. She does not have close relationships with the designers, she has not studied art or design and she herself said she just wears what she likes. I understand that Michelle Obama may be young and has brought change as first lady, but she is no match for the demure, chic style of the notorious icons. Our first lady should be recognized for her intelligence, confidence and generosity, characteristics that reach beyond the superficial and are true complements. Michelle Obama is a symbol for optimism and change that is about to sweep the nation — but not one for fashion.