‘Apartment 3A’ full of laughter, drama

How do we find the hope, faith and strength to overcome ruined relationships, stymied dreams and the fear of desperation? No answers to such complicated problems could be direct, but Strollers Theatre explores the landscape of solutions in its production of Jeff Daniels’ romantic comedy “Apartment 3A,” which is currently performing at the Bartell Theatre. Intelligent direction and strong performances from the cast make the show an absolute delight with just a few ensemble issues to tarnish an otherwise pristine presentation.

“Apartment 3A” focuses on Annie, a public television administrator, as she moves into a new apartment. Emotionally fractured from a bad break-up and frustrated by the constant struggle to keep public television funded, Annie’s desperation is near saturation — on air, she threatens her viewers, who happen to be 5-year-olds, with the imminent death of Big Bird if their parents don’t donate to the station — when she meets her new neighbor Donald.

With his friendship and encouragement, Annie begins to rebuild her tattered personal life, exploring new romantic avenues with her longtime dopey coworker Elliot while salvaging her career. But, as she grows closer to Donald, her emotions become complicated and confused, and Annie is forced to make some very difficult realizations and decisions.

Directed by Tony Trout, this production finds a near perfect balance between whimsy and a much more serious subtext. The script written by Jeff Daniels — best known as the actor playing opposite Jim Carey in “Dumb and Dumber” — is riddled with very funny moments bridging topics from the mating habits of polar bears, to dancing in the kitchen and to religion. Trout and his cast frame these conversations very well; the jokes land and pass with a great level of fluidity, avoiding any sense of presentation or theatricality that would undermine the naturalism of the dialogue and intimacy of the simple and small Evjue stage.

Not content to let the production be a somewhat satisfying hurricane of off-the-cuff zingers, Trout and his cast effectively dig deeper into the substance of the play. They tease out an emotional undertow to the piece, exploring the spirituality, philosophy and sexuality of the main characters. There are a few moments, the final meeting between Annie and Donald in particular, that pay out huge emotional dividends and offer delicate insights into what it means to love, to despair and to hope.

The performances are for the most part just as strong. Kamal Marayati does an outstanding job as the warm and inviting neighbor Donald. With a great smile and quite command of the stage, his charisma works perfectly as the nurturing friend. At the same time, there is a desperate beauty to his performance that at all times alludes to his character’s many layers of personality and the ultimate revelation of the play.

David Neuser plays the affable Elliot. Neuser aptly captures the gentle, unassuming and hopelessly chivalric nature of his character. Whether he’s bumbling through a speech about his religious convictions or coming on to Annie a bit too much, he’s both impossibly loveable and funny.

Sarah O’Hara has the difficulty of reconciling a character who must be emotionally distant from both Donald and Elliot, yet have great chemistry with both, a character who must be quite funny yet quite damaged. She takes on the task amiably, garnering a lot of laughs and finding some strong moments of connection with both male leads.

However, at times, her manic and desperate approach to the role becomes grating and off-putting. Her extreme exasperation makes her quick turn-around less believable, undermining her love affair with Elliot. Her character is supposed to be distraught and distant, but not at the cost of consistent chemistry or accessibility.

For a community theater production, the quality of “Apartment 3A” is outstanding; the laughs are frequent and potent, and the slow contemplative moments unfold articulately. The direction well frames the actions of the play, from dining room waltzes to discussions on the sexual practices of large arctic mammals. The performances are all around very strong with just a few minor flaws. With two weekends left, there are plenty of opportunities to see the show, and at a $15 price tag, this may be one of the best entertainment values in town.

“Aparment 3A” runs until Jan. 31 at the Bartell Theatre, with performances on Thursdays at 7:30 p.m., Fridays at 8 p.m. and Saturdays at 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. For information, call (608) 661-9696. Tickets cost $15 for general admission.