A concerted effort: No Age

On Monday, indie-rock phenom No Age is coming to Union South’s Club 770 for a show sure to beguile Madison’s hipster congregation into exploring an ephemeral forum of twinkling melodies and serious percussion.

After releasing their second album, Nouns, in May, this Los Angeles-based duo has garnered considerable acclaim from the sometimes-uncompromising bourgeoisie of collective music criticism (also known as Pitchfork) that cannot be ignored. With their untidy, forward sound and esoteric vocals, No Age is a must-see when the band stops in Wisconsin for their very first time next week.

No Age’s sound is a product of both social and political influences. The California natives are strong proponents for the DIY movement derived from punk and hardcore traditions, which propagate individualism and denigrate narrow consumerist concerns. This capitalist critique is even further traced back to the Arts and Crafts Movement originating in Victorian-era Britain, establishing No Age as a highly intellectual, curious continuation of various avant-garde concepts.

Additionally, the duo is interested in preserving and promoting all-age audiences. Largely influential has also been its Los Angeles venue, The Smell, and its various associated experimental groups correspondingly interested in an inclusive artistic movement that many consider veritable underground insight into provocative musical and ethical investigation.

Given No Age’s conscientious nature, one must wonder what their live show presents. Band member Randy Randall offered some perspective on the band’s performance.

“It’s just live, and it’s just happening right there. The songs have the energy that Dean and I bring to them right then and there and the spontaneity — anything can happen. … We just try to let the energy and the sort of spirit of the night be present on stage and we get into it…” Randall said. “I think that people go into the show with a kind of open mind and a willingness to participate; then they have a lot more fun and we have a lot more fun, so the idea is that it becomes more of an event that is shared between an audience and a band.”

When asked to categorize the group’s sound, Randall had a basic answer. “Punk. I mean punk is what you make it. Punk’s about being a badass and doing your own thing and not listening to what anyone else says.”

With this free-thinking, independent approach, it is no wonder Nouns has been so well-received by even the most skeptical audiences.

Joining No Age on Monday evening are openers Titus Andronicus and Soft Circle. New Jersey’s Titus Andronicus is a steely punk band whose sound draws listeners into a comparison with the Clash’s Joe Strummer and his emphatic, prevailing vocal performance. Soft Circle from Brooklyn is an experimental web of intensely heavy beats and a full, electronic sound that audience members will be very interested to hear enhance an otherwise ethereal, similarly energetic bill of performers.

Randall stated his expectations for the performance simply.

“I hope people are ready to party and just come out and have a good time and sort of lose their inhibitions,” he said.

No Age’s show is free and open to University of Wisconsin students and Union members. Doors open at 9 p.m.