Listeners will go ‘Gaga’ over energetic release

What makes a pop star? Platinum records, screaming fans — the Disney Channel? Pop music no longer has the impact or authority it did years ago in the time of Michael Jackson and Madonna. It’s now “uncool,” a genre every artist tries to avoid being associated with. Well, pop is back and better than ever with the introduction of Lady Gaga, the New York City glam girl. The Fame, her debut album, is performance pop, hip-hop, electro-glam and rock ‘n’ roll combined to create an innovative sound never heard in the pop world.

Born Stefani Germanotta, Lady Gaga is the female counterpart of Elton John or Freddie Mercury with her impressive vocal range, lyrical talent and flamboyant fashion style. Her team, Haus of Gaga, includes two spandex-clad backup dancers who accompany her on stage in order to assist in concerts more akin to performance art pieces. Lady Gaga embraces the label of pop artist, coining the phrase, “Pop music will never be lowbrow.” Her enthusiastic extravagance is what adds authenticity and intrigue to The Fame.

The first Lady Gaga single is the hit “Just Dance,” an upbeat, electronic party anthem any club attendee can relate to. Her second single “Poker Face” is as infectious as her first. As synthesizers produce a propelling dance beat, Gaga belts feisty yet playful hooks. “Beautiful, Dirty, Rich” reflects Gaga’s childhood spent in a New York City private school with classmates such as Paris and Nicky Hilton. Although the lyrics are vain, the song is a guilty pleasure with a contagious beat and snarky lyrics. “The Fame” follows similarly with its lyrics but surprises with slick guitar riffs. “Summerboy” sounds like a combination of Gwen Stefani and Cyndi Lauper, boasting Gaga’s vocal abilities. “Boys, Boys, Boys” plays tribute to the Motley Crue hit “Girls, Girls, Girls” with an ’80s handclapping beat and cutesy chorus.

Of course, as always, the disappointments of the album are the heartfelt ballads “Eh, Eh” and “Brown Eyes.” They are not unbearable, however, and can be quite catchy, but they simply fail to match the power behind the other tracks on the album. The racy song “LoveGame” references the “disco stick” Lady Gaga carries with her on stage at performance but doesn’t do much else for the album. “Starstruck” and “Paper Gangsta” miss the mark when attempting to combine hip-hop beats with techno accents in a manner similar to the Paris-based rapper Uffie. As the album progresses, the songs tend to fade in innovation and variety but still manage to keep toes tapping with prime dance beats.

There may be some flaws in The Fame, but overall the album is appealing. It is undeniably a refreshing addition to the pop music scene and has the ability to make just about anyone want to dance. The underground electro-glam scene is what makes The Fame so distinctive and thrilling. Lady Gaga is not a singer, but a glitzy experience, and she knows it; all she wants is “to change the world, one sequin at a time.”

4 stars out of 5