November: elections and fashion

The Midwest is considered by many a wasteland of tacky trends and last season’s fashion filling the landmass between the style-savvy coasts. On top of living in a Midwestern city, Madison is also a college town where jeans and Badger apparel dominate with the exception of Ugg boots and North Face. Once casual, comfort-driven dressing is expected, how can fashion-forward students branch out of the mundane stereotype without looking like outsiders? Suddenly, wearing a dress and heels out on a Saturday night becomes a point of ridicule. It is time to establish and embrace fashion beyond the jeans and tees, and this is where I hope to come in handy.

The fashion industry’s top magazines do not necessarily target the college or Midwest demographic. The expense and extravagance of designer “must haves” rarely fit the budget or scene of a typical student. But that doesn’t mean they are not useful. I have taken the November issues of Vogue, Elle and Harper’s Bazaar and translated them for the average Midwest college student, exposing the hottest trends and how to wear them in a tasteful, chic manner without feeling out of place.

The focus of November, most obviously, is the election. But the other main headliner is the designer Resort Collections. Resort has become a third season in itself, or so the fashion industry claims, showcasing pieces for American vacationers heading to Palm Springs for the winter holiday. Personally, I feel as though it is the boredom of designers and the greed of department stores that has resulted in the Resort Collections, therefore I refuse to take much of it into consideration. The fall collections this year present enough excitement and exploration. In the November issues, two major trends of fall/winter continued to dominate the pages: menswear and glam rock.

When designer Yves Saint Laurent first introduced Le Smoking, a menswear tuxedo tailored for women in 1966, it empowered women. This fall the same style is back with a more feminine approach. High collar tops, tuxedo jackets, pants and lace were featured as a necessary addition to any fashionista’s closest. But please, refrain from combining them all. Pair a high collar, ruffled top with a lace pencil skirt for a feminine touch. A fitted tuxedo jacket with the basic graphic tee, jeans and heels is a great way to dress down the trend yet still make a sophisticated statement. Check out www.topshop.com for chic, affordable tuxedo jackets and blazers. Menswear pieces used for cocktail and evening can be much more innovative, and comfortable, than the typical little black dress. Glam rock has never looked so good. Really, I didn’t think it was possible. Leather, faux fur and leggings are making a comeback. Although it is tempting to stock up on ostentatious David Bowie apparel, keep in mind this look can go from trendy to trashy fast. The essential item of the season is a leather jacket. A quality leather jacket can be added to any ensemble for an instant upgrade, lasts several years and can be worn in multiple seasons. In other words, a leather jacket is a smart investment.

A personal favorite of the season are booties. Booties, or ankle boots, paired with pants or dresses look edgy, plus they hold up quite nicely in the snow. Open-toed booties seem to be making quite a statement as well, but without tights, that could be fatal. The glam rock style is not for everyone, and understandably so, but purchasing a pair of booties or a vintage leather jacket can complement any style. There are many simple ways to incorporate new trends into the college wardrobe, and fashion magazines can help. With the cold weather rapidly approaching, add some color and class to your wardrobe. The change is sure to brighten the dark months ahead.

Jessica Gressa is a sophomore. If you would like to elect fashion, e-mail her at [email protected]