University greets students in style

Extending for almost a month, Wisconsin Welcome goes above and beyond making new students feel, well, welcome to campus. By offering a slew of activities, some campuswide and others residence-hall focused, there are plenty of chances to wade into the waters of college-level socialization.

It all begins on Friday, Aug. 29, with academic orientations and the Chancellor’s Convocation, which serves as the official welcome to the university. This also marks the first convocation with the new chancellor, former Cornell Provost Biddy Martin, who replaces John D. Wiley after his 6-year occupancy.

The whirlwind of activities in the days and weeks following the convocation are designed to further acquaint students with the campus, and help them find their “place in the community.” all while having fun at the same time. Among the options include New Student Movie Night, which is hosted by the WUD Film Committee and features the screening of a film selected in SOAR, as well as Free Art Fridays, which provide the perfect opportunity to try new arts and crafts including decoupage, luminaries and a special “Paint the Masterpieces” program.

Other highlights of the Wisconsin Welcome schedule include the popular Concert on the Terrace, which is hosted by the WUD Music Committee and works as a student mixer and an introduction to the Madison music scene, and a new event, the New Student Shopping Night, which allows students to browse Target after-hours for the last-minute dorm essentials.

Of course, since the heart of the typical Badger has a passion for parties, Memorial Union Bash is one of the biggest events of Wisconsin Welcome. Providing a little taste of everything, from cultural performances to arts and crafts and to food and games (including the ever popular Condom Casino), MU Bash serves as one of the best ways to meet new students on campus while having a blast.

Wisconsin Welcome takes place from Friday, Aug. 29, to Friday, Sept. 26. For more information on the events or to make a personal schedule of the events, visit the Wisconsin Welcome website at: newstudent.wisc.edu/wiwelcome.