Bluegrass band deals ‘hot’ tunes

Coming straight out of California, Hot Buttered Rum represents an old American tradition that connects a common link between the band and its fans. Started in 2002 while sipping on a warm, buttery winter drink, these five young musicians decided to put their love of singing and songwriting together to form this folk-rock troupe.

“The night that everything came together we were sipping on the drink, and it was sweet, it was hot, and it gave a kick, so we had no choice but to call ourselves Hot Buttered Rum,” HBR banjo and guitar player Erik Yates said.

At first the men looked for a way to play music that would fit them, and they instinctively leaned toward distinct genres. “I found Americana music in college, and once it hit me, I did not let go,” Yates said.

Using the Americana tradition of bluegrass, HBR is able to take this unique sound and create a family among other bands and artists.

“The cool thing about string band music is that you can basically grab anyone from a different band, and you will still be able to jam for hours. Being connected to a tradition like this, you are never alone,” Yates said.

Popularly known for their live acts, the band always pushes themselves toward new instruments and styles. Yates described the energy of fans when HBR hits the stage: “There’s a celebratory feeling in the room. … It’s completely infectious, and you just want to jump around.”

Yates continued, “We are basically a live act. There is something that gets lost while recording, especially for us. We are performers more than recording artists. For someone to get who we are, they can’t just listen to a CD. They need to come to our show and experience it for themselves.”

While the recording industry has been turned upside down the past few years, Yates talked about the benefits of releasing live albums compared to productions recorded in the studio.

“A lot of musicians are going hungry not selling any recordings, so now everyone is starting to have to do what we do and perform to make money,” Yates said. “Some of our best stuff that we’ve played was from low-key gigs, and that is where music lives — between having fun and working your ass off.”

Not only does the band work hard night after night for its fans, but HBR is also committed to accomplishing its musical goals while being environmentally friendly.

Yates explained, “For being a band that people want to go out and have fun to, we have a fair amount of topical songs. [America] needs to use the money that we have available to us and put it toward solar infrastructure that will help us 100 years from now, [as] opposed to building more coal-fire plants. And it’s not just tree-hugging, dirt-worshipping hippies trying to get a solar panel on the roof — we have to do this or else there will not be enough oil or coal to support people in the future.”

Hot Buttered Rum will be playing at the Barrymore Theater tonight at 8 p.m.