Cirque-Works show adds new twist to acrobatics

Barnum and Bailey?s infamous circus has been well-known for decades. At one point in time or another, most of us have been to some variation of the circus, finding delight within the abstract, colorful world of ring leaders and graceful trapeze artists swinging seamlessly like chimps through the air. The circus has long been known as home for the misfits, and Cirque Works Birdhouse Factory brings a whole knew spin on the traditional view of the beloved children?s entertainment.

Last weekend, Cirque Works (a troupe mostly made up of former Cirque du Soleil performers) dazzled audiences at the Overture Center for the Arts in a death-defying show.

The show?s premise brought a new light to the monotonous lives of the average factory worker. As the curtain rose, the laborers were greeted by their stereotypical authoritarian boss.

That is where the story itself began, and as the plot unfolded, the audience was treated to the stunning abilities of Ganchimeg Oyunchimeg. This amazing contortionist showcased her talent atop a turntable perilously pushed along by two unicyclists.

Following Oyunchimeg, multiple acts showcased similarly remarkable feats of ability. These acts included performances such as the trapeze artist flying high above the crowd in daring acts of strength and flexibility and the tricks of an acrobat moving inside and outside of a giant gear-like wheel. Subsequent to these artists were three men who threw caution to the wind to perform their stunts. Using a trampoline, these ?wall artists? defied the laws of physics as they flung their bodies through the air as if they were skateboarding. Forget water; these men have seemingly mastered the art of walking on air.

As we all know, romance is never far behind, even in the most unlikely of venues. The next act thus demanded the audience?s attention as things started to get a little hot up in there. The athletes combined the most intense forms of dancing with extraordinary elasticity. The mood here was lightened, however, by the joking manner of Jesse Dryden, the ever-present clown.

Dryden?s antics delighted and entertained the audience throughout the evening, often using a common household object ? like a tape measure ? as the center of his jokes. He commanded attention, as well as sympathy, for his trials and tribulations throughout the show.

Overall, the show was exceptionally done, wowing the crowd at every turn. Cirque Works cast light on those with the uncanny ability to twist their bodies and float through the air, yet the performers made it easy for the audience to grasp each act?s message. The hilarious impromptus brought about by Dryden kept the mood light; he was the missing piece of the puzzle that connected the audience to the performers. Without this link, the play would not have flowed so seamlessly nor would it have been as well received.

Complete with dinner and some good friends, this truly is a show to be enjoyed by all ages when it returns to Madison. This spin-off of the world-renowned Cirque du Soleil is no second-tier performance.