Stoppard play lets wit ‘razzle’

The University Theater opened Tom Stoppard’s “On the Razzle,” a witty, honest adaptation of “Einen Fux will er sich machen” by Johann Nestroy, in Vilas’ Mitchell Theatre Friday night. Starring Josh Krevsky and Katheryn Bilbo as two quirky shopkeepers, Weinberl and Christopher respectively, itching for adventure in the big city of Vienna. An excellent representation of Stoppard’s infamous wit and mischievous nature, “On the Razzle” is a brilliant demonstration of comedic farce and non sequitur that left Friday’s audience feeling dazed and deeply amused.

The first scene features Herr Zangler, played by Jesse Michael Mothershed, who is Weinberl and Christopher’s boss at a well-earning grocery store. Zangler’s blustery, vain yet oddly endearing character was the perfect ingredient for humor, and the audience spent the majority of the play laughing at his selfishness and greed and enjoying the way his presence permeated the atmosphere of the Mitchell Theatre’s comfortably small space.

The perfect complement to Zangler’s quirky personality was his absurd personal assistant, Melchior, played by Charlie Bauer, who is only a sophomore at University of Wisconsin. Bauer’s performance was undoubtedly the best of the evening. Stylishly outfitted in checkered pants, a bowler hat and a cane, Melchior’s character was replete with witticisms and goofy outbursts that charmingly and hilariously revealed his inability to keep his thoughts to himself. Bauer’s ability to portray Melchior’s spastic body movements and blurt his goofy recurrent phrase “classic!” was well received by everyone in attendance.

The play’s storyline also involved Zangler’s niece, Marie, and her untimely desire to marry a heavily indebted Sonders. Zangler spends the majority of the play desperately trying to prevent the match, only to relent immediately once Sonders discovers a considerable inheritance from his aunt.

At Friday’s performance, Christopher and Weinberl were two characters who everyone couldn’t help but adore. A woman has traditionally played Christopher’s role, and Bilbo maintained this tradition with great conviction and talent. Although her small stature was deceiving, Bilbo’s projecting voice was powerful and convincing. Her timing was well-executed, and her one-liners were delivered with eloquence and a mature, wry quality. Krevsky’s performance as Weinberl, though, was a bit more hesitant, but he displayed a comfortable rapport with Bilbo that created endless hijinks and incited laughter from the audience.

In the production, as Christopher and Weinberl set off to go “on the razzle” in Vienna, they encounter various characters like Madame Knorr, who is engaged to Herr Zangler and owns a hat shop, and Mrs. Fischer, who lovingly joins Weinberl in a mock engagement ruse. Christopher and Weinberl play different roles throughout the evening, deceiving person after person with their identities to avoid being discovered by Zangler. Ashley Jeffrey, a veteran and frequent crowd-pleaser at the University Theater, portrayed Madame Knorr’s loud, overwhelming character with grace and class. Her sassy comments traveled well when combined with a poise and unique diction that left the audience wanting more. Mrs. Fischer, portrayed by Leia Espericueta, was a strong character who also added a great deal to the overall humor and joyous confusion enjoyed by everyone Friday night.

In addition to mistaken identities, Stoppard’s play was also littered with sexual puns and innuendos that created delightful misunderstandings and powerfully exhibited his bold, shameless effort to amuse. “On the Razzle” is not afraid to take risks, and the audience was continually stunned by the dazzling wordplay and the fast-paced energy of the play’s gratifying dialogue.

The character most notorious for embodying this sexualized tone was the coachman. A lusty Scotsman portrayed by Steve Wojtas, the coachman’s naughty one-liners and powerful brogue were delivered with great gusto and amused the enthralled audience.

By and large, the performance was enjoyable. The cast experienced occasional slip-ups, a few lines ran together, and the play possessed a few unclear transitions, but this is to be expected on opening night. Despite these few challenges, the actors did justice to Stoppard’s hilarious effort, and I would recommend “On the Razzle” to anyone with a good sense of humor and an acute interest in salacious puns.

It “”On the Razzle”” runs until November 3, and tickets are $20 general admission, $14 ages 17 and& under and UW students, as well as an $18 senior discountand $18 for seniors.