Yamin sings song of success

One would never guess that a man who enjoys spending time at home with his dog, playing basketball and scrabble, and going to the park would also hold the Billboard record for highest number of debut albums sold for an independent artist in its first week.

Let me introduce Elliot Yamin. This singer burst onto the scene when he competed in the fifth season of American Idol. Although he was third runner up, any Elliot fan could argue he is among the most successfulcontestants.

"The best part about it was getting all the experience that helped me get to the next level in this business and become a true artist," Yamin said, during a phone interview with The Badger Herald.

He is grateful to American Idol because, through the show, he gained the exposure that eventually allowed him to live his dream.

"I get to live, breathe, eat, sleep music. All things music, every day. There is nothing that I have dreamed of doing otherwise," Yamin said about post-Idol life. "It's a lot of work to stay afloat in this business, but I'm always up for the challenge. To work hard at something you love to do makes it that much sweeter, you know what I mean?"

Before hitting it big with American Idol, Yamin worked bagging prescriptions at a pharmacy in Richmond, Va. He described himself as stuck in a rut and trying to keep his head above water. However, those days are now part of Yamin's past. His debut album hit No. 3 on the Billboard 200 chart and sold 96,000 copies in its first week.

"I felt like I had finally arrived. I had a wonderful sense of pride knowing that I had accomplished completing an album of music that was just my own," Yamin said while discussing the feeling he had when the news broke.

Ever since his record-setting debut album, Yamin's life has changed for the better. Becoming a hit has allowed him to practice his passion, which is making music. It has also allowed him to work with various diabetes foundations. Yamin's obstacles include being 90 percent deaf in his right ear and having Type I diabetes. He wears an insulin pump at all times, but is used to it and says it does not hinder him in any way.

"It just motivates me more to do as much as I can while I'm alive and while I'm here on this planet," Yamin said. "I do what I can to inspire other people with diabetes, to keep chasing my dreams and to not let it get in the way. It has made me more determined and focused on my career and all the things I want to accomplish in this business."

Yamin's favorite part of music is the creative aspect, in particular, the writing process. Any Elliot fan could tell you that he has in fact succeeded at being creative. Yamin explained that he likes to take R&B and soul from the ’60s and ’70s and combine it with modern sounds. The result is the original style that has made him so popular.

In addition to unique-sounding music, Yamin believes he has a strong relationship with his fans because of the similarity between their attitudes toward music and his own.

"My fans are really passionate — much like how I approach the music business. I am very passionate when I sing, and I think it's made a real strong connection with everybody," Yamin said.

Yamin's concert will be Saturday night at the Majestic Theater. Attendees can expect raw, gritty soul and heartfelt passion during the show, he said. He will be a newcomer to Madison and is excited to learn more about the city.

"I'm looking forward to experiencing a new part of Wisconsin and trying some of that cheese," Yamin said jokingly.

Opening for Yamin will be The Last Goodnight and Josh Hoge. The show begins at 8 p.m. and tickets start at $22.