No doom or gloom: Dethklok rocks

Schizophrenic. That is really the only way to describe the "debut" album by the metal quintet known to overgrown animation aficionados as Dethklok.

For the uninitiated, Dethklok is the fictional band from the Adult Swim show "Metalocalypse," a universe in which Dethklok is more popular than even Metallica. The show chronicles the band and its exploits against a quasi-religious outfit that is determined to stop Dethklok from rocking the whole world. Yes, it is quite absurd, and hilarious.

But is the music from a fake band any good? Um, yes and no. Over the course of 16 tracks — three or four too many — the album jumps from straight-up de(a)th metal with the fantastically named "Briefcase Full of Guts," to a more modern sounding groove metal with the equally greatly named first single "Bloodrocuted," to symphonic metal via "Dethharmonic."

Let us start with the pros. It seems that songwriter and guitarist/bassist/vocalist Brendon Small — also a former comic and "Metalocalypse" co-creator (as well as the precursor cable cult shows "Dr. Katz" and "Home Movies") — has been listening to a bevy of current metal bands, as songs like "The Lost Vikings" would be perfectly at home on the last Amon Amarth record, just as "Castratikon" sounds like an outtake from DevilDriver's The Last Kind Words.

For a comedy writer, Small can play some serious guitar (although graduating from the Berklee College of Music probably helps). The riffs are skyscraper tall, and there are some killer solos on this album. Vocally, Small mostly succeeds in emulating death grunters like Chris Barnes and John Tardy. It is also worth noting that famed drummer Gene Hoglan is behind the kit on this record, a man who has played with the likes of Death and Strapping Young Lad.

Small can also write the occasional entertaining lyric. To be sure, metal is not generally known for intellectual or introspective lyrics, and The Dethalbum is no exception; though, would you really expect Thom Yorke contemplation or Britt Daniel cynicism from a virtual band "fronted" by a guy named Nathan Explosion? Album opener "Murmaider," about hunting and killing murmaids, states the song's (and really, the album's) purpose with, "Subject, check/ Location, check/ Desire, check/ Vengeance, check." Once again, Small wears his influences on his leather jacket sleeve, as those lines would be right at home on classics like Butchered at Birth or Cause of Death.

With all that in mind, there are some caveats to this rather entertaining trudge through metal's past. As stated, the number of songs is just a few too many. The average length of an extreme metal album is 10 songs, running just over half an hour. Here, you have almost twice that length. One of the great things about extreme metal releases is their brevity. The average death metal album is like being beaten with a hammer: Two or three blows to the head, and you are unconscious. The Dethalbum, however, resembles a beating with a bag of oranges: Irritating, yes, but after a while you are still awake and will not have bruises to show for it.

There are a surprising number of good ideas here for a parody spinoff piece — again, too many, which cause a loss of cohesion to the album. But cohesion was probably not the point for Smalls when he entered the recording studio, ax in hand. Nor should it be for you, asThe Dethalbum is assuredly worth your time if you enjoy metal, "Metalocalypse" or both.

3 1/2 stars out of 5