New ‘Moon’ cast over ‘Rune’

Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
Publisher: Nastume
Developer: Neverland
Price: $29.99
Genre: Simulation, Role-Playing Game
Platform(s): DS

Harvest Moon is back and offering more than ever in "Rune Factory," the latest installment of the series. A common name to any gamer, the Harvest Moon series puts a hoe in your hand, as you're tasked with running your own farm in a fantasy town filled with eccentric characters to interact with.

Farming? Yes, it may sound terribly dull, but it's oddly engaging, and will likely have you anxiously waiting for your potatoes and strawberries to sprout. Not only that, but you can fish, create items, catch monsters, cook and get married too!

"Rune Factory" introduces a new fantasy element: The medieval feel and monster-filled caves bring respite from what can become tedious farm tasks, but largely the game remains farm simulation instead of action role playing game. (Don't. Expect. Zelda.)

The game is visually beautiful, with crisp, colorful 2D backgrounds and character avatars. The 3D character designs, with their vaguely apelike posture, aren't notable, nor are the cave and monster designs. The musical score is upbeat and catchy, albeit repetitive. Luckily there are enough songs that change frequently enough that none will compel you to turn the volume off. Some complaints include the sometimes glitchy controls and the lack of use of DS features. The stylus is optional for several tasks, but due to control problems, you'll likely find yourself passing on it.

"Rune Factory" is one of few games that offer both quick game-on-the-go entertainment along with a deeper, more complex experience. A must have for fans of the series, and worth a shot by everyone else. So pick up that hoe and start plowin'!

4 stars out of 5