Modern parodies seriously horrible

Almost one year ago, I had the extreme misfortune of seeing "Date Movie" during its opening weekend. Please don't hold that against me. I did it to write a review for this paper and was reimbursed, so it wasn't a total loss, aside from a little part of my brain that has never quite regained consciousness.

I contend that anyone could have written that movie, even if he or she were without a fully functioning brain. I am not saying that anyone could have written a better movie, but anyone could have at least achieved the level reached by the film's writers, Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer. It was bottom-of-the-barrel comedy in the truest sense of the word, consisting entirely of uninspired parodies that were little more than references to other movies.

As a result, you can imagine my disgust when I heard about the duo's new film "Epic Movie" claiming the top spot at the box office this past weekend. I just cannot comprehend why such a significant portion of the public went out and supported this abomination. Perhaps it is its simplistic nature that some find so appealing. Judging from my experience with "Date Movie," I doubt the movie requires much thinking, other than "Hey, he looks like Captain Jack!" or "Hey, he looks like Harry Potter!" or "Hey, he looks like Kumar from 'Harold & Kumar!'" I suppose people may find this amusing if they totally shut down their brains for a time. However, if they did that, I fear their brains, like mine, might never fully reactivate in some small part.

By the way, I feel I have the right to criticize the movie based solely on the trailer and commercials in retribution for having to sit through "Date Movie." I have never fully forgiven myself for supporting "Date Movie" financially with the six dollars for a matinee, which was 12 dollars too much. Although they won't be getting six bucks from me this time, people across the country are paying to see "Epic Movie," thus encouraging this kind of garbage.

In hopes of countering this trend, I have compiled a list of my top five favorite parody films of all time. These movies are the exact opposite of garbage, which I suppose would be gold, or something of high value. Maybe, like, 12 dollars.

No. 5: "Wet Hot American Summer." This is a parody of '80s summer-camp flicks, with main character Coop (Michael Showalter) vying for his summertime crush amidst the craziness of Camp Firewood. Although the film does not exactly satirize any particular movie, there are several parodies of motion picture conventions — the ragtag little league team, the raft of children in peril, the motorcycle chase sequence and the self-improvement montage, to name a few. On top of that, I am endlessly amused by the sudden, inexplicable emotional turns, a refreshingly realistic conclusion and, my personal favorite, a recurring sound effect gag.

No. 4: Tie between "The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!" and "The Naked Gun 2: The Smell of Fear." Both are hilarious. Both involve Lt. Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen) trying to balance his romantic life and his police work. The film is a parody of cop dramas, primarily the television variety. Again — and this goes for the rest of the movies on the list — it also satirizes film-making conventions, like when Drebin walks around the front of the set rather than using the door.

No. 3: "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." This is a parody of historical epics, not to be confused with what "Epic Movie" parodies, which are not necessarily epic movies, but popular movies that were released during the previous two years. Specifically, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is a comical retelling of King Arthur and his knights' quest for the Holy Grail. The film is filled with nonsense and whimsy, which, while initially seeming stupid, are surprisingly sophisticated.

No. 2: "Young Frankenstein." Obviously, this is Mel Brooks' humorous take on Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein," and particularly on the '30s film adaptations. The movie could conceivably be considered a comical continuation of the series, with Dr. Frankenstein's grandson Frederick (Gene Wilder) inheriting his castle, along with all that it holds. Shot in black-and-white and using many of the same sets as the 1931 film "Frankenstein," "Young Frankenstein" is an incredibly authentic representation of old-fashioned filmmaking. As a result, not only is "Young Frankenstein" a brilliant parody, but it is also a beautiful film.

No. 1: "Airplane!" This is the movie that all modern parodies are compared with, but that unfortunately can never truly compare. In general, this is primarily a parody of disaster movies, deriving most of its inspiration (and I assume exclamation) from the 1957 film "Zero Hour!" However, in this case, the fact that it is a satire takes a backseat to the clever puns, one-liners, sight gags, and countless other hysterical jokes almost all current comedy has been influenced by in one way or another. To give you the obligatory synopsis, Ted Striker (Robert Hays) follows his flight attendant girlfriend aboard an airplane that becomes the victim of food poisoning. Of course, hilarity ensues. I am serious. (And… if you don't know where this is going, see the movie immediately.)

There are two common elements all of these movies possess that make them superior. Those elements are distinct characters and an interesting, cohesive plot. Each one of these movies could essentially function on its own without prior knowledge of the original work that is being mocked. Gerald "Coop" Cooperberg, Frank Drebin, Ted Striker and even Dr. Frederick Frankenstein and King Arthur are not simply copies of preexisting characters. They all have unique characteristics that make them real human beings who exist within the unified plot of the parody.

Conversely, for example, a character like Captain Jack Swallows (I think the name says it all, but I feel compelled to continue) from "Epic Movie" is nothing more than a slightly altered clone of the real deal. The goal should not be to make the characters look and act identically. Rather, to better poke fun, the filmmakers ought to delve deeper into what a character represents and not so much what he or she is on the surface. That sounds like something out of an after-school special, but the point is still valid.

I already know what the characters in other movies look and act like. I'd much rather see the subtle stuff satirized, preferably using a parallel character to represent these ideas instead of a shallow reproduction. Not to mention, Johnny Depp already portrayed Captain Jack Sparrow in a comedic manner. There is little to lampoon there. The same goes for Borat and Willy Wonka, among what I assume are others.

I could go on forever about what makes a good parody, but I prefer you see for yourself. I urge you to check out the aforementioned five films, if you haven't already, instead of settling for the mediocrity that undoubtedly is "Epic Movie." Remember: Paying to see it supports the production of similar projects. Do you really want to be responsible for "Movie Movie?" Save your money. And your brain.

Mike Peters is a senior focusing on communication arts, film and business. Have you lost part of your brain to bad film-making? Let Mike know at [email protected].