Finance-friendly: exploring vintage

Let's face it, most of us are poor college students. Many luxuries we had (and could "afford") while living with Mom and Pop are now a thing of the past. However, a stylish wardrobe doesn't need to be one of them. In the campus-area alone, there are plenty of budget-friendly options for trend-savvy, money-conscious consumers. The selection of unique, affordable finds available at area vintage stores will have shoppers ditching their standard uniform of sweats and hoodies for retro styles, allowing their inner fashionista to shine through without draining their wallets.

Gozira-Ya
505 State St.
Gozira-Ya, located on the second level of a building on State Street, provides an unconventional vintage experience. Upon entering, customers' eyes are immediately drawn to a giant John Lennon wall mat, surrounded by various period gadgets, such as a frozen-in-time Mickey Mouse clock and a collection of wayward Smurf toys. The collection of classic rock vinyls is also thrilling. Granted, many college students don't have record players, but it sure would be nice to have a vintage Beatles' Abbey Road album for decoration, if nothing else.

Moving on to the clothing, anything from retro pumps, blouses, winter jackets, blazers, cardigans, sweaters and dresses can be found on the racks of Gozira-Ya. Prices for these various items will not usually exceed $20. But, for shoppers willing to cough up exactly $20, a Lacoste cardigan, originally sold for $135, can become a new fall essential.

The lowdown: Gozira-Ya is a one-stop shop for quirky, bohemian fashions.

June 3rd
317 W. Johnson St.
It’s no secret. Since we live in Madison, Halloween is a pretty big deal, and getting the right look for a weekend of debauchery is critical. Gone are the days of spending $50 for a cheap, polyester blend M&M suit. At June 3rd, a range of costumes, as well as other vintage pieces can be rented (yes, that's right — rented) for this very special occasion.

Interested in donning some short shorts and being Daisy Duke? There’s no need to be Jessica Simpson to totally rock a gently used pair of cowboy boots for around $15. There are also eclectic pieces, from flapper dresses to vampire gowns, that will suit everyone.

June 3rd also has clothes that are great for going to class. Jeans (Levis are abundant), vintage t-shirts, and, most importantly, retro Bucky gear can all be found for around $10.

The lowdown: For shoppers hunting one-of-a-kind casual t-shirts and sweaters, June 3rd is an apparel treasure trove — with a huge shoe collection to match.

Circa
825 E. Johnson St.
Almost every woman will face this dilemma at least once in her lifetime: You have a dinner date at a trendy, new restaurant and the LBD (Little Black Dress) is too heavy for the occasion. Problem is, that's the only dress in the closet. Well, lighten up!

Circa has a wonderful, affordable selection of handpicked, high-quality vintage dresses that truly reflect the looks of classic Hollywood. These fashionable essentials range from $20 to $50.

In addition, there are a wide variety of blouses, jewelry (adorable pearls), and shoes.
And if that wasn’t enough, Oct. 7, Circa and fellow vintage shop Pish Posh will be holding their second annual Fall Fashion Show at the High Noon Saloon, starting at 10 p.m. The cost is $7, which includes the show itself, as well as live performances from Leslie and the Ly's, Screamin’ Cyn Cyn and the Pons, and DJ Real Jaguar.

The lowdown: The true vintage devotee should check out Circa for retro, classic Hollywood styles.