NASCAR spoof rip-roarin’ good time; Ferrell in top form

In the world of NASCAR, there are thinkers and there are drivers — a moment of hesitation leaves room for failure. Luckily, "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" heeds the adage and wastes no time getting to the point, serving up carloads of laughs right quick.

From 10 seconds in, this racin' southern romp gives viewers just what they've been craving — a heavy dose of some "hot, nasty, badass speed." Talladega Nights flips it into high gear and never looks back, providing just less than two hours of red-blooded American enjoyment.

In a plot that unfolds hilariously as almost a juxtaposition of SNL-type skits, the film cruises through the kicking-butt-and-taking-names, cowboy lifestyle of Ricky Bobby, a pit-crew employee turned joyriding racer, when his team's actual competitor proves more into taking home fast-food sandwiches than lugging home some gilded hardware.

Ricky's living the southern dream alongside his bleach-blonde wife, Carley (Leslie Bibb, "Crossing Jordan"), his two, winning children Walker and Texas Ranger — if they wanted two little girls, they would have named them Dr. Quinn and Medicine Woman, says Carley — and his best friend and teammate, Cal Naughton, Jr. (John C. Reilly, "Chicago"), that is until he must compete for the spotlight with a new addition to the team, Frenchman Jean Girrard.

Everything about Girrard (Sacha Baron Cohen, "Da Ali G Show") leaves Ricky feeling more uneasy than a stripper in a chastity belt. He's openly gay, listens to jazz music, sips espresso and drives a car plastered with Perrier paraphernalia — all things certainly out of the typical comfort zone of those on the NASCAR circuit. These factors play into a series of hilariously awkward exchanges between Jean and Ricky right up until the final finish.

Teamed once again with "Anchorman" director Adam McKay, Will Ferrell gives Ron Burgundy a run for his money in a performance worthy of two yee-haws and an Amen. He dips into the typical Ferrell bag of tricks, with facial expressions and nudity galore as he portrays a driver so self-assured that he wakes up in the morning and "pisses excellence." When it comes to physical comedy, Ferrell shows no shame — running around the track stripped down to merely a pair of tighty whities and a helmet as he flails about screaming for help from Jesus, Oprah and even the Scientologist wizardry of Tom Cruise.

John C. Reilly plays quite possibly the perfect idiot as Ricky's bumbling best friend, Cal Naughton, Jr. The actor, who has dabbled in portrayals of the aloof in such films as "Chicago" and "Boogie Nights," provides the perfect complement to Ferrell as the number two guy in their "Shake and Bake" operation.

Sacha Baron Cohen also exercises his comedic range beyond the stretches of his famed TV character, the Kazakhstani goofball, Borat, in his portrayal of the prim and proper ex-Formula One driver, Girrard. With an extended cast of supporting players like Michael Clarke Duncan, Andy Richter, Greg Germann and a perpetually drunk Molly Shannon, the film can hardly go wrong.

Talladega Nights asserts itself as a winner because it never misses an opportunity to make the mundane moments into occasions full of side-splitting laughter. As funny as each character is on a stand-alone basis, nothing brings more redneck fun to the table than the film's family scenes. One particular onset of antics shows Ricky, his bimbo wife Carley, his two children, his father-in-law Chip and Cal sitting down for a "catered" dinner of fine fast food.

Sponsorship quickly reveals itself as so much a part of Ricky's life he can't even say grace without thanking KFC and Taco Bell and giving a special plug for Powerade in his blessing due to a clause in his contract. Throughout the prayer, Ricky can't help but shower the baby Jesus with praise, launching an intellectually stimulating dinnertime debate about his favorite vision of the figure. While Ricky proclaims his all-time favorite Jesus to be the baby-Christmas-Jesus, visions of bearded Jesus and Jesus in a tuxedo t-shirt also dance their way across the table competing for his affection.

Grandpa Chip also gets involved in a heated argument about his grandchildren and their lack of respect for their elders, to which young Texas Ranger threatens to come at his grandpa like a "spidermonkey" — talk about tender family moments.

When it comes to comedy, "Talladega Nights" is one rip-roaring good time that is enjoyable right down to the last end credit. Even NASCAR diehards can't deny the hilarity of this tongue-in-cheek glance at one of America's most popular sports. Move over, Dale Earnhart, Jr., there's a new driver in town and his name is Ricky Bobby.

Grade: 5 out of 5