Light, quirky comedy fails to launch

Sometimes in life, we attempt to dodge reality and pave a man-made path around the truth. Sometimes in life, it is necessary to face reality and let nature take its course. Nestled within the mediocre plot of the quirky and bizarre romantic comedy "Failure to Launch" is proof that sometimes it is best to face the truth and put fate into nature's control. Directed by Tom Dey and written by Tom J. Astle and Matt Ember, this film offers audiences a semi-entertaining plot with a twist of unnecessary weirdness. Still, the film provides a few laughs and includes an enjoyable and attractive cast.

Costarring in "Failure to Launch" are Matthew McConaughey ("Sahara") and Sarah Jessica Parker, who has appeared in an extensive list of films but remains most well-known for her starring role in the HBO television series "Sex and the City." Matthew McConaughey plays Tripp, a 35-year-old boat broker. Tripp happily lives with his parents, Sue (Cathy Bates, "Rumor Has It…") and Al (Terry Bradshaw, former quarterback for the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers and long-time FOX analyst). Zooey Deschanel ("Elf"), Justin Bartha ("National Treasure") and Bradley Cooper ("Wedding Crashers") add excitement and unexpected turns to the film as well.

As if Tripp were still a young boy, life under mom and dad's roof spoils him with home-cooked meals, packed lunches and fresh laundry. While Sue and Al love the comfort and security of Tripp living at home with them, they believe it is time for their son to move on and move out. With the encouragement of another couple that successfully deceived and convinced their grown-up son to establish a home of his own, Sue and Al call in a trained professional, Paula (Sarah Jessica Parker).

Aside from being delightful and charming, as Parker often is, Paula takes a traditional, systematic approach to her unique occupation. She treats even the most sensitive subjects, such as affairs of the heart, as nothing more than a simple business endeavor. Just as she would go about work with any client, Paula plans to reel Tripp into her systematic trap. If all goes as she plans, Tripp will fall in love with her and then move into a place of his own where he can further pursue his newfound love. Not until Tripp is on his own, and mom and dad have their much-needed space, can Paula disappear from the picture.

But Paula's reliable system fails her when she finds herself in an unexpected emotional trap with no way to escape. As Tripp gets closer and closer to falling for her, things become even more complicated when Tripp learns that both his parents and Paula misled him into the center of this dishonest scheme. As a result, Paula and Tripp question the truth within their relationship and second-guess their own feelings for one another. They make an attempt to dodge the truth because it appears to be the easy way out of this tangled mess of love and deception. With a little help from their friends and their biggest supporters, Paula and Tripp untangle their mess and bravely face nature's intended path.

"Failure to Launch" is absolutely a romantic comedy with a deeper meaning. However, Tripp's frequent run-ins with nature's undeniable strength appear on the film's surface far too often for the audience to need to look much beyond the screen directly in front of them.

The film focuses on one main plot, but there are other seemingly unnecessary side plots. Certain scenes stand out in the film as being more unusual and intrusive than humorous and substantive. Other scenes may strike you as terribly unexpected and shocking, such as Terry Bradshaw's nude scene in which his backside is revealed more than once — though this specific scene did provide a bit of amusement.

McConaughey and Parker make a great on-screen couple, but Parker's acting on the big screen is no different than her performance on the TV screen. While this may be what makes Parker so fabulous, it also makes it difficult to believe in any role Parker plays where her character is not complimented by the complete cast of "Sex and the City."

Like any romantic comedy, the film is a light-hearted escape from reality with a classic, predictable ending. "Failure to Launch" is nothing exceptional, but it guarantees a few laughs in response to its uncanny humor, and it incorporates some sweet and sentimental moments for those who appreciate the lovey-dovey mushy stuff in their movie-going experience.

Can't make it out to the movie theater this weekend? No stress. This one will make a better rental.

Rating: 3 out of 5