Coldplay impresses concertgoers at Bradley Center

The success of Coldplay's third album, X & Y, accurately foreshadowed the repertoire of energy the band brought forth to the Bradley Center in Milwaukee Sunday night. Frontman Chris Martin started the evening with the same amount of enthusiasm as that with which the show ended, illustrating his yearning to one day be mentioned in the same breath as Bono of U2, which he has publicly confessed.

When Coldplay came onto the stage, an explosive combustion of energy penetrated throughout the arena that was felt from the nosebleed seats all the way up to the stage. This sentiment was the catapult of the evening's brilliant performance. Psychedelic light patterns alternated throughout the concert and enhanced the performance.

The audience enthusiastically embraced chart-dominating songs such as "Talk," singing along with Martin every step of the way. During those moments, a spiritual feeling filtered throughout the stadium, and the unique moments of unity when music has the power to bring a diverse group of people together was sewn together by the moving lyrics of the poetic "Talk."

The genesis song, "Yellow," that only slightly indicated the band's future success, was one of the highlights of the night. As the band jammed, huge yellow balloons filled with gold confetti were thrown out into the audience. The balloons flew throughout the audience and, as they popped, the gold confetti illuminated the sky and filtered down to the floor as "Yellow" ended. The crowd enthusiastically responded to one of the band's classic songs, wildly cheering at the end.

No dull moment interrupted the band's incredible evening. Each song was perfectly linked to the next. Highlights such as "Talk" and "Yellow" only regenerated the energy diffused through the entire evening. About three-quarters into the show, the audience was again enthralled by the power of Coldplay, as they surprisingly came together to the center of the stage and performed rousing renditions of some of Johnny Cash's timeless songs such as "Ring of Fire." Resembling the aura the Beatles brought to the States only three decades ago, Coldplay once again reminded the audience how versatile they can be and how talented they truly are.

Some critics argue that Coldplay's continuous sound is too similar and does not provide variation in theme. However, this unity that drives their sound creates a spiritual experience live and continues to please their legion of loyal fans. The energy that Coldplay brought to Bradley Center was an almost out-of-body experience. The atmosphere that filled the venue that evening was well worth the price of admission.

As Guy Berryman (bass), Jonny Buckland (guitar), Will Champion (drums) and Chris Martin (guitar, piano and vocals) came together for those couple of hours, the venue was in a trance. Martin kept his audience's full attention as he jumped, twirled and poured all his energy into his performance. Maybe Gwyneth Paltrow's presence helped ignite his vigor, but in any case, he was amazing. The entire band did not disappoint; rather, they exceeded expectations and gave an amazing performance.

A great concert makes you want to see the band in the next city you can find tickets for, so if you missed Coldplay in Milwaukee, start looking for their Chicago show. This tour is one not to be missed.

Rating: 5 out of 5